Trike along the Edinburgh/Glasgow canal path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghnarumen

Has anybody done this route on a trike? I was on the path, recently, and it seemed like a few bridges and aqueducts would probably be a bit narrow (I should have measured them but I was a bit preoccupied).

John

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi.
I don't ride a trike, but I've done the route several times.
Some of the bridges are really narrow, but of course I haven't measured them either ^_^
There is a bit (before the Falkirk Wheel iirc) that is definitely too narrow for a trike, but I think you can use the parallel road instead.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Hi.
I don't ride a trike, but I've done the route several times.
Some of the bridges are really narrow, but of course I haven't measured them either ^_^
There is a bit (before the Falkirk Wheel iirc) that is definitely too narrow for a trike, but I think you can use the parallel road instead.
A big lad like me can cycle along it....^_^
seriously though, Pat is correct, on the F&C one or two wee off and maybe push, the Union is a different kettle of fish,the first tunnel above the wheel is quite narrow then the Dark Tunnel is the same and a couple of cobbled aquaducts en-route where best just to walk it, over 60 bridges from Falkirk to Fountainbridge, Edinburgh , as you have to slow and manoeuvre through them.
one bridge on the Union Canal
narrow-they-are-all-like-this.jpg

The Avon Aquaduct
avon-aquaduct.jpg

Another bridge
one-of-the-many-bridges.jpg

The Dark Tunnel
the path is on the left but doesn't show well
tunnel-1.jpg

I'm back through that way next week, if the WX is suitable I'll take a wee run along the Falkirk end and have a more closer look.
If you do, make sure your bell works and listen before each bridge...

Last edited:
Not done that route.
But I've never had a problem with canal bridges or aqueducts on my bent trike.
You cannot wobble on a trike, so as long as you have ~6" solid path both sides it's fine.
Just don't meet anybody coming the other way in a narrow bit.
I find it's where the bank is a bit eroded and you start to tip toward the canal that's more "fun" on a trike.

Luck .......... :biggrin:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
On that route, lots of the "under bridges" are cobbled, no railings, can get slippy if the weather is wet, which is most days here.
I think, @Bobby Mhor, on the Avon Aqueduct can be bypassed on road, but the dark tunnel, you're right, might just be too narrow.
There is an alternate for the Dark Tunnel, head up through the new Park'n'Ride or the path that goes up to the Slamanan rd, turn right and literally just down the road, a right turn off the road takes you up past the nursery then follow the path/signs (not too clear thought) when you meet the next road, cross and head down the path and signs to the canal are at the next road.
It's a bit of a faff doing it on a trike though...
found this
glen village.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@ghnarumen

Roughcastle tunnel (above the Falkirk Wheel)
Rough tunnel.jpg

2 meters wide ( 6x Bob trainer)

first bridge after
bridge between two tunnels.jpg

1.66 meters wide (5x Bob Trainer)

Dark(or Falkirk) Tunnel
dark tunnel.jpg

1.33 m wide (4x Bob trainer)
note the cobble surface, I tend to walk my bike through it...as damp, slippy and uneven...

and yes, I know it's a girls hybrid...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
note the cobble surface, I tend to walk my bike through it...as damp, slippy and uneven...
Bobby, you went a reccie for the good of the CC community :smooch:
OMG that tunnel: I'm sure the last time I went through it there was no lights inside at all, I didn't realize how much moss covers the surfaces.

and yes, I know it's a girls hybrid...
With no mudguards? On the canal? :eek:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Bobby, you went a reccie for the good of the CC community :smooch:
OMG that tunnel: I'm sure the last time I went through it there was no lights inside at all, I didn't realize how much moss covers the surfaces.

With no mudguards? On the canal? :eek:
Oh shucks:smooch:
I don't mind helping out....

It's a rotten, broken surface and the last time I was through, one lad fell or slid off halfway but avoided the water, as I put earlier in the post there is an over the top diversion but best just to wheel the bike through.

I always return via the canal, pass the Falkirk Wheel then up to the Union, once on the Union, I cut up through the woods until I get to higher Falkirk.
I've a crud catcher mudguard on my own bike but it doesn't help much.
I borrowed my youngest's bike to use when I'm through that way, I'm allowed out one day a week..
Be different from the start of the year when I migrate East....

Damp, uneven and slippy doesn't bother me as long as it's flat.
Like the OP, I'm on a recumbent trike and being on three wheels makes a BIG difference as you cannot fall over.
Now pedalling along slowly with one wheel 3" from the canal bank on a narrow bit so people coming the other way can get passed can be a bit "interesting" ...... ^_^

Where damp, uneven and slippy catches me out is on a climb.
There's not enough weight on the back wheel to give me a lot of excess traction.
So once the going gets iffy uphill, I just suffer badly from wheel spin/slip.
That's the reason I wear the back tyre out in half the distance that I can get out of the fronts, ~4,000 miles back vs ~8,000 miles front.
And thats with a heavier duty tyre on the back (Big Apple) vs the lighter ones on the front (Marathon Supreme).

Luck ........ ^_^

Top Bottom