trike insurance/security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chonker

Chonker

Veteran
Does household insurance cover the bike while out though? I might try using it for a commute but would hate for it to be stolen/damaged while parked at work. I'm pretty paranoid but then it's gonna be worth more than my car and a damned sight easier for some scummer to carry off!

TimP

Generally if a bike is locked up in the UK (and we've even found out it was covered when locked up in Europe when touring) it will be covered by your contents insurance.

Terms and conditions often apply, depending on locks and what you are locked to etc. Check the small print or phone your insurers to get their opinion.

spiro

Auntie Helen said:
The second fixing point is from the chainring guard (an option extra, and an excellent one) that I have fitted at the front of the trike. It means I lock it nose-in to a fixing point. I tend to also have a thick wire through all three wheels ending up at the lock as well to make sure no-one has a laugh by removing one.
I was wondering about how to lock up my Trice T when out and this thread has given me a couple of ideas (already bought an Abus Granit) but I am not sure about using the chainring guard as it is only held on by 2 bolts.

I was planning to use the Abus about the frame and back wheel and use a long cable and padlock through all the wheels and around a fixed object i.e. lamp post. Is this good enough or do others have a better idea.

PalmerSperry

Andy in Sig said:
You could probably still consider one of those anchor rings then, especially if you (i.e. your husband) dug a bit of a hole, filled it with concrete and set the paving slab in that. It would make it a bugger of a job to try and nick the trike.

The security item I used for several years was a moderately large bucket (from B&Q I think) which I'd filled with concrete, with a D-lock embedded in it[1]. Coupled with locking 2, and sometimes as many as 3, bikes to it with decent locks hopefully made it reasonably theft proof.

[1] And, IIRC, a brick through the D-lock also in the concrete to try and make the D-lock harder to remove by brute force!

Auntie Helen said:
Sadly the floor is just paving slabs on grass.

Really ought to have a decent brick garage built to keep the trikes safe (who cares about the cars!)

Even that is good enough.... carting the weight of the paving slab around is going to dissuade all but the most determined

squeaker said:
At home? You might want to look here first ;) If someone really wants your trike they are likely to get it :sad:

Beware of these videos, they optimise for the "thief" allowing maximum leverage and easy access to the links.

An Abus Granit X54 secured to a rear triangle and a decent piece of street furniture is a far more difficult beast to destroy

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yet another vote for the Abus Granit 54. Sold Secure Gold, reasonably compact, not absurdly heavy.

For insurance, my trike is a named cycle on my home contents policy - much cheaper than cycle-specific policies, and from an insurer I trust (Liverpool & Victoria) based on previous claims experience.

Top Bottom