Trike - Rear suspension or hard-tail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinG

Bewildered at the range of recumbent trike options.:wacko: One basic difference which could narrow down my range of choice is whether it has a suspended rear wheel or not. What do the Trikists advise (bearing in mind I am closer to my second childhood than my first and that absolute speed is not an issue)?

It is down to personal choice, I prefer none but a big back wheel, some like none with 20" wheels, others insist on suspension, you are quite welcome to try a Catrike anytime you like if you can get to Kent.

n-ick

Yo, never had any problems with rear suspension. Depends where you want to ride. I have a hard tail and a suspended Ice. The suspension is more comfortable, especially on long rides. If I had to buy again, then it would be suspension.

Yo, never had any problems with rear suspension. Depends where you want to ride. I have a hard tail and a suspended Ice. The suspension is more comfortable, especially on long rides. If I had to buy again, then it would be suspension.

It also depends on how you like your frame... I chose a Catrike as I felt the additional triangulation of having the seat as part of the frame was stronger and stiffer than that of suspended frames where all the stress is on the pivot.

I have never regretted that decision

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The TRICE approach seems to me the best of both worlds: an elastomer suspension. You lose very little road-feel, and the handling is fantastic, but the elastomer is just enough to turn brutal bumps into gentle ones.

OP
OP
M

MartinG

It is down to personal choice, I prefer none but a big back wheel, some like none with 20" wheels, others insist on suspension, you are quite welcome to try a Catrike anytime you like if you can get to Kent.

Thanks, Catrike - I'd love to, but I'm in Newcastle and it will take a bit of arranging, so don't hold your breath, but I will make it one day.

3tyretrackterry

I ride an explorer pre suspension and i find it no problems though i run a no name 20x2.0 rear tyre at about 65psi which takes out some bumps and i also find the mesh seat helps alot as well if the webbing is a little slacker

Dene

I run a 26" hard tail with very few problems, the benefit of a trike is your weight is spread over three wheels so the shock from a bump is nowhere near as uncomfortable as an upright.

........... the benefit of a trike is your weight is spread over three wheels so the shock from a bump is nowhere near as uncomfortable as an upright.

But you have 3 wheel lines to cope with, so you do tend to hit more bumps.

I've got a Trice Q with rear suspension but I because I put a trailer with it 90% of the time, I've set my suspension harder than normal.

OP
OP
M

MartinG

I'm hiring David G's ICE Adventure 3fs to take on holiday so that will give me some idea of a fully suspended trike and then I shall have to try something like a Catrike Expedition to compare. It will be interesting...

JoysOfSight

I'm hiring David G's ICE Adventure 3fs to take on holiday so that will give me some idea of a fully suspended trike and then I shall have to try something like a Catrike Expedition to compare. It will be interesting...

It's a nice ride, I have ridden it and was very impressed (although to be brutally honest, I can't see why anyone would buy an Adventure over a Sprint, unless they were getting on a bit and couldn't stand up properly!)

Top Bottom