Trike Storage Help Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cas1000

Hi all - really hoping someone here can help me.
I'm looking to get a recumbent trike (most likely ICE 26 rigid) having had a awesome afternoon chatting with Kevin and test riding at D-Tek (Thanks again Kevin, if you read this!)
But... I'm coming up on a major brick wall in finding a shed suitable for trike storage. :sad:
I've got limited space - small front garden with patio that comes out about 2.5 m from front of terrace house, then lawn, then metal shed with 2 motorbikes (no room for trike in there). Back garden only accessible via narrow alley - can't get a trike into gate...

So, I'm looking for a compact shed that fits trike which will sit on front patio. Either door at one end to roll trike in, or double door on long side to wiggle in at an angle. Problem is, only things I've found that are close are Asgard 'bike locker' for end door (too short and slightly too narrow), or Asgard 4 bike 29 incher for double door (longer than normal Access shed they do). Trike would fit in the 29 incher shed, but best I can figure it won't quite wriggle in the doors which are only 1.6 m of the 2.3 m length. The lid lifts, so I could lift one end of trike over the end of the wall, but its not a great solution. I'm trying to avoid need to fold trike to fit in shed.

All other bigger sheds are way too tall. Since its on patio it would obscure house windows, so no go.

Tried enquiries to various 'custom wood shed' companies but no joy so far. Most seem to use standard panels for sheds which are 6 foot tall.

Has anyone found a company able to genuinely build the sort of simple, low, 'box' type shed I need? The PVC coated metal style like Asgard and various other manufacturers is preferred solution, but I'll go with wood if I can get something that works! Currently this is driving me nuts... just didn't think it would be so hard to get what I need, but yeah... its different to most bike storage requirements due to pesky length and width...

@byegad, back in Feb you posted you'd got a purpose built shed for your QNT. Was that a self build from scratch, or kit, or company build to order?

Any thoughts/advice/ideas welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
How good are you with a hammer and a saw, building a shed is very easy this way you get what you want.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Tr1nka (formerly of this parish) used to hang his trikes on the wall. I think there was some kind of pulley arrangement. He had an impressive number of bikes for a basement flat...

OP
OP
C

Cas1000

How good are you with a hammer and a saw, building a shed is very easy this way you get what you want.
Its one option I'm considering... but woodworking was a looooong time ago at school (mumble-mumble years), and I'm not sure how to easily avoid exposed screws/fixings, or planks that could be fairly easy to lever apart by potential thieves - Its never possible to be fully secure, but something without obvious way to start dismantling from the outside is preferable by far. If anyone has a link to a decent plan/guide, it might make it more of an option that me randomly nailing bits together.

I'm not sure how to easily avoid exposed screws/fixings, or planks that could be fairly easy to lever apart by potential thieves - Its never possible to be fully secure, but something without obvious way to start dismantling from the outside is preferable by far..

Line the inside with 10mm PLY with internally braced corners and after they have made enough noise taking the shed apart they will find the trike Locked to a concrete post in the ground !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add a surveillance camera for good measure and fit a GPS to the trike !

regards emma

OP
OP
C

Cas1000

may i sugest a flat board with 4 casters. rest of the front wheels on the board. tip the trike on its side and push it out the back.
Hi Paul. I think you're suggesting the side tip and casters to squeeze the trike out the narrow back alley route? Unfortunately still too tight (900 mm wide alley and right angle turn into same wide gate). Only option would be tipped vertically on its rear wheel, but I think it would be to awkward and it would inevitably get scraped... but interesting thought that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
C

Cas1000

And yep, ground anchor is something I'd consider in any non secure shed Emma / Cunobelin. Inner ply lining is an interesting idea. Maybe I do need to dust off my tenon saw...
A bought in solution would still be preferable (And probably look better) but no-one yet is saying 'try company X - they've got just what you want'... So I may start scribbling some design ideas down and how it looks.

In the meantime, any other thoughts/suggestions welcomed of course, and thanks those who've already replied - Much appreciated!

classic33

Leg End Member
I know its not a trike, but I have the Brox stored vertically against the wall.
Homemade harness sewn onto car seatbelt fixings to hold it in place. Heavy duty vinyl sheet used to cover it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
And yep, ground anchor is something I'd consider in any non secure shed Emma / Cunobelin. Inner ply lining is an interesting idea. Maybe I do need to dust off my tenon saw...
A bought in solution would still be preferable (And probably look better) but no-one yet is saying 'try company X - they've got just what you want'... So I may start scribbling some design ideas down and how it looks.

In the meantime, any other thoughts/suggestions welcomed of course, and thanks those who've already replied - Much appreciated!

If you go down the ply lining route, save yourself time by not dusting off the tenon saw. A crosscut saw or an electric circular saw will be much quicker. ^_^

Top Bottom