Trikeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
So my Catrike 700 has found a new home. I enjoyed my rides on it and I shall miss it. I was finding it a bit of as struggle to get up from the seat though. Maybe a return to suspension next time too, Just wish there was a light suspended trike with a narrow track and a moderate seat height. Must take a look at Velomo trikes.

In the meantime, I have some updates to do on my RANS and Nazca along with a couple of folding bikes ....

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
I regret never doing the IOW Randonnee on it. I previously completed that ride on two ICE trikes and a Catrike Speed. The stock 700 gearing was a bit high though and I was reluctant to alter it just for that ride, so I used the RANS Stratus XP instead this year.

I regret never doing the IOW Randonnee on it. I previously completed that ride on two ICE trikes and a Catrike Speed. The stock 700 gearing was a bit high though and I was reluctant to alter it just for that ride, so I used the RANS Stratus XP instead this year.
Plenty of trikes on the bay,cant see you being trikeless for long

fossala

Guru
Since getting rid of the micro (just too low to be seen) and getting a speedmachine I can't see myself going back to a trike. Funny really because I couldn't see myself riding a recumbent bike a month or so ago.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Since getting rid of the micro (just too low to be seen) and getting a speedmachine I can't see myself going back to a trike. Funny really because I couldn't see myself riding a recumbent bike a month or so ago.
Has any recumbent rider ever been rear ended because they are "Too low to be seen?" I find it quite the opposite, recumbents are so noticeable because of their rarity they can be seen from Mars. Nobody claims that they can't see the white lines on the road because they are too low.

fossala

Guru
Has any recumbent rider ever been rear ended because they are "Too low to be seen?" I find it quite the opposite, recumbents are so noticeable because of their rarity they can be seen from Mars. Nobody claims that they can't see the white lines on the road because they are too low.
A car saw me at the last second as I had just got over a crest. Swerved into the other lane, then back into my lane crashing into a wall. A week before that a car that I guess was speeding (sounded like it was anyway) didn't see me until late and had to slam his brakes on with lots of squealing, there was nothing I could do other than hope it didn't hit me. These two incidents happened in one week after the second (the crash) I put it up for sale.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Yes, there's a real problem of car drivers not being able to stop in the distance they can see clear. Of course this is an issue on bends as well as on lumpy bits. Not so much of a problem in flattish urban environments with 30 mph speed limits.

fossala

Guru
Yes, there's a real problem of car drivers not being able to stop in the distance they can see clear. Of course this is an issue on bends as well as on lumpy bits. Not so much of a problem in flattish urban environments with 30 mph speed limits.
Both times it was in exactly the same place but going in different directions. It's part of my commute and after the second incident I didn't feel safe. Real shame I felt I had to sell it, it was a beautiful machine.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member

Or the kerb! and they're pretty damn good at avoiding potholes too!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Has any recumbent rider ever been rear ended because they are "Too low to be seen?" I find it quite the opposite, recumbents are so noticeable because of their rarity they can be seen from Mars. Nobody claim that they can't see the white lines on the road because they are too low.
Rear-ended once, on purpose. I'd slowed his progress to the next red light.

Still on red when I got there, having been passed by him.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
Rear-ended once, on purpose. I'd slowed his progress to the next red light.

Still on red when I got there, having been passed by him.

Scary stuff. I've finished putting mudguards on my now 20/26 Stratus XP and rode it to work today. Enjoyed the ride going in, didn't feel too comfortable climbing over Portsdown Hill on the way home. Very easy getting on and off compared to the upright, and much more comfortable of course. I 've been riding a Spa tourer for the last 3 weeks. The XP seat height seemed very low at 23" compared to the Spa! I have the same gearing on both but the XP has a 559 rear wheel compared to the 622 on the Spa, so around 10% lower and around 10% slower. The question is whether I'm going to be happy with this through the winter months or whether I need a trike.

Top Bottom