Trikes on cycleways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tongsheng

Tongsheng
Hi everybody, I'm new to trikes and was wondering how compatible they are with cycleways and and narrow walkways. I know the paths are meant to be 1m wide to accommodate trailers and buggies but have been told a couple of routes are not up to scratch and maintained badly by cash strapped councils. Exactly how much of a problem is this and are gates and canals an issue? I have done a bit of offloading on my KMX Cobra and had to sling it upside down on my head from time to time but cant imagine it being so easy when fully loaded. Any help would be appreciated and my first NCN route i have planned are probably seven in central Scotland or one taking in the east coast. Anyway if anybody knows of any dodgy gates or easy go around etc please give me a shout. Thanks in advance John

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I only have one bad cycle path in my area... yes that thing on the left is a cycle path :rolleyes:

So I don't use it.
A few gates are a wee bit narrow as I need 32 inches plus.
Southampton council put a cycle path in to the city at the start of Covid, I tried it too narrow, it has now been removed :smile:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You'll be lifting it a fair bit your council likes to install them ridiculous chicane barriers that are designed to keep motor vehicles off a particular route, for the one in a million that try it...

OP
OP
Tongsheng

Tongsheng

Tongsheng
Yes that's what I was afraid of. I dont mind doing roads especially up here in Scotland but just fancy a change of scenery. While I have your attention. I bought my cobra because I'm quite a big bloke and the 130kg weight limit swung it for me. I know some people call them a bit industrial but that's what appealed to me. However I am 105 kg my motor and battery are another 7, my bottle , munchies box and tools another 3 leaving only 15kg for my kit. Until I lose a bit of weight. As most of that weight will be on a rack and panniers being over the back wheel, would the weight be that much of an issue as all that weight is over the back wheel with a heavy duty skewer and upgraded rack and fittings ? I might have to look into this. After all there isn't a lot of weight on the back wheel. to start with compared to a diamond frame.

OP
OP
Tongsheng

Tongsheng

Tongsheng
You'll be lifting it a fair bit your council likes to install them ridiculous chicane barriers that are designed to keep motor vehicles off a particular route, for the one in a million that try it...
Yes this is what I've been warned about. I suppose when I am planning my routes I will have to do a bit of virtual touring or ask about that area. Like I said I can handle a bit of manhandling. Are you still allowed to say that? But I'm not the most patient of people so wont handle it at all well if they are on every bridge, lock or crossing every road. Probably just a case of suck it and see. Thanks

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yes this is what I've been warned about. I suppose when I am planning my routes I will have to do a bit of virtual touring or ask about that area. Like I said I can handle a bit of manhandling. Are you still allowed to say that? But I'm not the most patient of people so wont handle it at all well if they are on every bridge, lock or crossing every road. Probably just a case of suck it and see. Thanks
If you're planning a route probably best to do that & then ask on here for local advice. There are parts of NCN 1 round here with chicane type barriers & others where the surface can be muddy & uneven.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Really depends on the cycle facility. That’s the problem we face, you’re never quite guaranteed to know what you’ll encounter unless it’s local and you’ve been on it before.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Tongsheng

Tongsheng

Tongsheng
If you're planning a route probably best to do that & then ask on here for local advice. There are parts of NCN 1 round here with chicane type barriers & others where the surface can be muddy & uneven.
Yes that seems to be par for the course I'm afraid. I can handle muddy and uneven and do a fair bit of off road but getting my trike over obstacles fully loaded doesnt appeal to me where as flying down muddy tracks does and when I lose momentum I can use my front wheels like a wheelchair giving me AWD. Adapt improvise and overcome. Tracks not fit for purpose however might be a different story. As long as they are wide enough and not blocked by unnecessary infrastructure I'm good. I will do my research though thanks.

Top Bottom