Triking in Scotland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Welcome to the forum

regards Emma

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum Hilary. There are quite a few ‘bent aficionados on here and I’m sure you’ll get to know them. You’re very brave, I don’t think I could tough it out down there so close to the tarmac.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum Hilary.
I'm based in Northampton but really love to trike around Scotland
There are quite a few ‘bent aficionados on here and I’m sure you’ll get to know them. You’re very brave, I don’t think I could tough it out down there so close to the tarmac.
You'll find the extra width of a trike forces cars more to the right.
That means there's less space for cars to squeeze through so you tend to get better overtakes.
Being overtaken by fast HGv's isn't so bad because you're low and on three wheels. So you cannot wobble and most of the air blast is going right over your head. So you may speed up a little but you're not dragged sideways ..... :smile:
Even punishment overtakes by cars aren't so bad because they'll hit the trike before you and they'll not do that because they'll damage their car ...... :tongue:

Luck ....... ^_^

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Welcome to the forum Hilary. There are quite a few trike owners in the Edinburgh area. Speak to Dave @ Laid Back Bikes (if you haven't already), as he may be able to put you in contact with another recumbent owner close to you.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Hello and :welcome:. Fellow recumbent triker here, though somewhat further South:smile:

OP
OP
Can-can

Can-can

That means there's less space for cars to squeeze through so you tend to get better overtakes.
Being overtaken by fast HGv's isn't so bad because you're low and on three wheels. So you cannot wobble and most of the air blast is going right over your head. So you may speed up a little but you're not dragged sideways ..... :smile:
Even punishment overtakes by cars aren't so bad because they'll hit the trike before you and they'll not do that because they'll damage their car ...... :tongue:

Luck ....... ^_^
That’s so true! Feels so weird being low down but getting used to it and yes drivers do seem to respect the trike more than a bike. I even had one stop on the other side of the road and wait while I was grinding up the hill towards him!

OP
OP
Can-can

Can-can

Luck ....... ^_^
Where abouts in scotland do you trike? I’m hoping to get round Loch leven when the weather calms a bit.... would love to hear of any trike friendly paths/routes you’ve discovered

Where abouts in scotland do you trike? I’m hoping to get round Loch leven when the weather calms a bit.... would love to hear of any trike friendly paths/routes you’ve discovered
I've done 4x +2,000 mile tours in Scotland going up to JoG and back, so basically all over. 3 of the tours also included LE as well.
I like the Highlands and Islands the best but the Borders aren't bad, I've not done much around the Cairngorms.
I try to stay off fast dual carriageways due to the risk due to the speed difference. But apart from that, I think most roads are fair game.
It may take you a few months and a couple of thousand miles to get your bent legs working properly. But the downhill runs at around 40 mph make up for all the hard work slogging up the other side.

Luck ....... ^_^

Anarco

Hi Hilary ......There are two trikers in the South West ....me (John) and Bill in Dumfries ......Also have a pal Ian near Carlisle with a Catrike and Mango Velo. We are a bit spread out !

Top Bottom