triple chainset installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Have had my Sora triple chainset sat about for a week or so now...I've looked into installing it onto my commuter as a replacement for the generic chainset which was a temporary measure - have a wealth of information stored in my head - am pretty good at general bike maintenance and have a good idea of the steps to take in installing the chainset -have the required tools.

Any pointers/tips/ways to avoid pitfalls. First chainset I will have installed (there's a first for everything!) and as it's on my trusty commuter I don't want to stop the bike in it's tracks cause of a simple error with installation.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if the existing one is triple, not a problem as long as the bottom brackets are the same i.e. square taper, splined or external.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yeah Alecs -the bike originally had a Sora triple which failed- BB should therefore be compatible as well.

Just have to line up chainwheels and get on with it right?!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've seen newer 9 speed sora chainsets which have an external bb, and older 8 speed sora chainsets which use either an octalink or square taper bb. 8 speed will run fine on a 9 speed chainset, but not the reverse.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It's a 9 speed Sora - was quite hard to source actually but wanted to get the identical chainset for compatability reasons.

I'll be in trouble if for some reason the chainset isn't compatible!! Lol!

Top Bottom