Triple vs compact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

If you were to come to where I live in the foothills of the Berwyns, I could show you why many cyclists would appreciate a Compact chainset.

There are very few flat areas around here, after cycling for a few hours & feeling a bit of fatigue, I really appreciate a Compact. So would you, if you were to cycle from Llangynog to Bala (for example), along the B4391; the longest part of continuous climb, is 330m over just 6.26km. (1082ft of climb, in just 3.89 miles).

Compacts are ideal - for where I live.

I'm the lad who rode from Llangollen to the top of the Horse Shoe pass on a brand spanking new sparkly Peugeot PX10 Roadrace bike in 1975.
The bike had a 52/38 with a 14 to 25 five speed screw-on. Perfect for a schoolboy.

"What's a Compact?" :wacko: replied the LBS man when I told him that in 2010, cyclists need really small chainrings to climb up Welsh hills. :rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, bully for you. I did it on a Brommie.
Shall we have a pissing competition?

Tynan

Veteran
maybe the riders having to do big hills in this country have further to go than the coffee machine afterwards?

and maybe not everyone is at Delgado's level?

I do enjoy your posts jimbo, in a good way

Shaun

Founder
Sorry, but this is just getting stupid. Wind your necks in and stop spoiling threads.

Apologies to the OP - I assume there's enough "advice" here for you to digest for the moment. Please feel free to start another thread if you have any more specific questions.

I'm locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom