Trochanteric (Hip) Bursitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spence

Über Member
Actually got to the quacks yesterday about the pain/lack of movement in my hip/leg/back. From what I understood - not easy - apparently the Bursa (a fluid sac protector thing on the outside of the hip bone) is inflamed/bruised/swollen and therefore causing the pain. Not exactly sure of the root cause, falling off and landing on it in the snow the other week certainly hasn’t helped.
His only solution was painkillers, ie mask it rather than solve it.
Anyone had this before, if so any info?

As for the back pain and tingly leg he reckons that it’s a sciatic thing, yep I knew that. Gonna try and get a scan done, if only to see what’s going on and any new damage.

And as for the expanding belly, apparently it's not a medical thing
icon_redface.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes I have had Bursitis of the knee (well one of them).
They don't know what can cause it to inflame.

Had it for about 4 months know.
They can just disappear or it can recur.
Where I had it on my knee it is now a hardened lump.

The painkillers you should take should be anti inflammatory ones ie Nurofen.

I've been treated for chronic patellar bursitis in both knees.
Painkillers and anti-inflammatories are the first line of treatment, as is RICE. Then follows a period of gentle exercise/physio to get it used to the real world again.
The fluid level is controlled by the lymphatic system, which can take a while to move excess fluid from the bursa.
They are bad tempered things, and get inflamed. They can flare for supposedly no reason, or as a response to impact, repeated stress upon them, or injury nearby.
Repeated stress can cause the sac to thicken and give long term problems (as in my case).
A bursa can become infected and fill with blood, and maybe need syringing to reduce this, coupled with antibiotics.

They only cause me trouble now if I push too hard on the bike, crawl on the floor a lot (don't ask!) or sit with my legs under the chair (dammit I'm doing that now!!).

As for the expanding belly, let me know when you find a cure.

I've had Bursitis of the knee also. It was agony. Unfortunately I know exactly what caused it... sat on my arse for far, far too long with my knee bent underneath me playing a computer game! Was comfortable at the time, but when I moved was really stiff and painful! Next day it had swollen up and I couldn't move it at all.

This was before my cycling days :smile:

Top Bottom