Hip pain from indoor cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Getting on Zwift and using a dedicated indoor bike has been a revelation for me as I can now maintain fitness in the winter.
But I seem to have developed quite accurate hip pain after a session - not something I've ever experienced outdoors.
The bike is a 62 kgs Stages SB20 with limited lateral movement which I've partly offset with a thick yoga mat to get some movement but not sure if this is the cause of the hip pain.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Q factor is different from your usual ride. ???

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
No saddle not too high, in fact the ride is pretty comfortable. Until I get off and then will cannot walk up the stairs until the hip pain subsides.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Lack of natural movement you would get on an outside bike?

Move around more, get up out of saddle more often, change position?
If there's such a thing, too 'comfortable' not moving around enough?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Lack of natural movement you would get on an outside bike?

Move around more, get up out of saddle more often, change position?
If there's such a thing, too 'comfortable' not moving around enough?

An indoor bike is definitely much more rigid. I stuck rubber hedgehog pods under the feet of my Wattbike and it allows some movement which I find helps me feel more comfortable.

Slick

Guru
Are you sure its specific to indoor?

I get hip and groin pain and the latest suggestion is that its tight glutes that's the issue.

Stretches help.

13 rider

Guru
Get out of the saddle periodically to change your position

gbb

Legendary Member
Worse case scenario...it might be arthritis. Mine started quite out of the blue when I had started rebuilding fitness after TB and two years off the bike.

If of course you have been getting pain indoors for some time and not outdoors...well, its not arthritis.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks. I think it might be the rigid position so maybe I'll look into getting a rocker plate.
Saddle position is fine and I get zero hip pain when cycling outdoors.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Ok things got quite a bit worse since.
At some point during the pedal revolution I get an acute pain where the groin meets the upper inner thigh, it feels like a ratchet getting stuck. I have visited a physiotherapist who thinks it's a groin strain and I'm doing the recommended exercises. But when I step back on the bike the pain comes back just as severe.

Top Bottom