Trossachs Ton 2010 - feed stations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

Following on from last years successful event we're putting some final touches to the preparation for this year's Trossachs Ton on the 20th June.

A number of you gave us great feedback on last year's event including some constructive criticism on the positioning of the feedstations.

The first feedstation in Thornhill was seen as being too early for most riders with the marshalls being reduced to perfecting their banana hand-up technique (with mixed results). The first station will now be a good few further miles up the road.

We'd like to hear your views on where to position the final feed station which was previously about a mile from the bottom of the Crow Road climb. Many people thought this was too close to the bottom of the climb. There are a couple of options: move it to a position a few more miles before the climb or move it to the carpark near the top of the climb.

Any thoughts? Look forward to your comments.
Thanks
Malcolm

Unfortunately I won't make it this year. :biggrin: However, I would definitely recommend placing the feed station before the climb and not on it. Most cyclists would rather complete a climb in one go, rather than stop half way. Part of the challange is conquering the big climbs without stopping. Just my opinion of course.

It's great that you ask for opinions though! :smile:

Noodley

Hi Malcolm, long time no see. Hope you and Mrs wakemalcolm are well. :biggrin:

Have you got a link for the event?

sayek1

Hi Malcolm,

I agree with the view about having it before a climb & not on it - I'd rather not stop as I might not get going again!

What's the entry number limit on the TT - the site doesn't give a maximum or any idea if you are near this, but I don't want to commit until I know I can do some more training and get well into May. Likewise I don't want to find you have hit a maximum and I miss it.

Great idea to ask for views.

Regards
K

Seamab

I'm probably in the minority but last year i never used any of the feed stations apart from the Rob Roy Hotel at Aberfoyle. There was so much food on offer there that i didn't feel the need to stop elsewhere.

If i recall correctly, there was a feed station just before Loch Katrine at the bottom of the Dukes Pass. I'd say that would be ideal for a first feed station.

You could move the one at Clachan of Campsie to the foot of the Crow Rd descent where you bear right for the Carron Valley? This would allow folks to replenish for the last difficult bit of the ride.

That would give 3 feed stops which is more than enough IMO.

On a different note - i was up in Kinlochard yesterday (by car) and the lochside road was badly flooded and would have been impassable by bike due to the recent rains. The road surface was as poor as ever:sad:
Are you still intending to finish down the descent from North Third this year? That was literally an absolute shocker. Far better IMO to miss this out and come over the motorway at Chartershall (this section was resurfaced last year) and then head towards Cambusbarron and finish the same way.

Unfortunately, i can't make the event this year - i hope it goes well.

Seamab said:
I'm probably in the minority but last year i never used any of the feed stations apart from the Rob Roy Hotel at Aberfoyle. There was so much food on offer there that i didn't feel the need to stop elsewhere.

If i recall correctly, there was a feed station just before Loch Katrine at the bottom of the Dukes Pass. I'd say that would be ideal for a first feed station.

You could move the one at Clachan of Campsie to the foot of the Crow Rd descent where you bear right for the Carron Valley? This would allow folks to replenish for the last difficult bit of the ride.

That would give 3 feed stops which is more than enough IMO.

Unfortunately, i can't make the event this year - i hope it goes well.
Well you're in a minority of two.

With regards to feed stops, it depends on the weather. If it turns out a scorcher, the feed stops are very important for getting extra fluids.

Seamab's suggestion of just after Crow Road would probably be a good one if it was possible.

HLaB said:
I suppose every is different but if it turns out to be good weather I hardly use them but in miserable weather I'm more inclined to use them, specially if they're indoor.
Some of us have to work hard to do 100 miles! :biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
W
Hi

That's an interesing point about siting the stop after the Crow road descent - we could maybe site one at the turn off onto the Carron Valley road just before Fintry. My only concern is whether it's too late in the route.

Last year we had gazebos so although they won't be 'indoors' there'll still be an amount of shelter to be had.

I know that there have been changes to the run in towards Stirling. I'll check these out in light of your advice.

Regarding maximum entry, there isn't currently a fixed upper limit but I think we'd consider this if we got above 1000. As far as I understand we're about half way towards that figure. Last year we were able to accommodate walk-ups - unfortunately it won't be possible to confirm whether we can offer the same this year until much closer to the event.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming.
Cheers
Malcolm

scook94

Veteran
wakemalcolm said:
Hi

That's an interesing point about siting the stop after the Crow road descent - we could maybe site one at the turn off onto the Carron Valley road just before Fintry. My only concern is whether it's too late in the route.

I didn't do this last year but have signed up for the 100Km route this year (it'll be my first such event). Personally I don't think I'd want to be carrying anything I didn't have to (i.e. bottles full of liquid) up Crow Road, so I'm sure I'd appreciate being able to re-fill them at the top.

boydj

Legendary Member
Personally, I thought the feed station before the Crow Rd climb was in quite a good place - a good spot to have a bit of a breather before the climb and to load up with water and food, but far enough from the climb to get back into your rhythm. I know that last year I was feeling it a bit by the time I got to this feeding station and was glad of the breather before tackling the hill.

I also don't think that a feed point on the hill is a good idea. It takes a bit of effort to get going after a stop, and I would prefer not to stop on a big hill unless I absolutely had to.

Top Bottom