Trossachs Ton 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JiMBR

Thinking of signing up for this for the first time.

A major goal of mine is to complete 100 miles in one day (most so far is 75) so I thought that this would be a good way to achieve this.

There are however a few potential stumbling blocks...

1. I'm OK fitness wise, but not on the 'lighter' side so hills tend to be more testing for me.
2. There are only around 2 months left to train for it, which I think may not be enough.
3. I've read various ride reports from past years, all with a common theme...terrible road surface conditions in places.

I know a few of the CC Ecosse people have done the event and would appreciate any tips, comments and general musings on the subject.

If it comes around too soon...I'll look to complete the 100 miles in a day sometime later in the year...because I WILL do it!

Cheers

Thinking of signing up for this for the first time.

A major goal of mine is to complete 100 miles in one day (most so far is 75) so I thought that this would be a good way to achieve this.

There are however a few potential stumbling blocks...

1. I'm OK fitness wise, but not on the 'lighter' side so hills tend to be more testing for me.
2. There are only around 2 months left to train for it, which I think may not be enough.
3. I've read various ride reports from past years, all with a common theme...terrible road surface conditions in places.

I know a few of the CC Ecosse people have done the event and would appreciate any tips, comments and general musings on the subject.

If it comes around too soon...I'll look to complete the 100 miles in a day sometime later in the year...because I WILL do it!

Cheers
I done it a few years ago, the last section from Fintry to Stirling is pretty rough (only about 1/5 of the ride) but the ride is probably one of the best organised events I've done, the complimentary massage at the end is good too :tongue: Its a wee bit hilly the ride but nothing too extreme. Go for it.

OP
OP
JiMBR

JiMBR

Its a wee bit hilly the ride but nothing too extreme. Go for it.

As I've actually been on a ride with you HLaB, I've seen what a machine you are on hills (and everywhere else).

I think your 'a wee bit hilly' might equate to 'call the paramedics' for me!

:blush:

As I've actually been on a ride with you HLaB, I've seen what a machine you are on hills (and everywhere else).

I think your 'a wee bit hilly' might equate to 'call the paramedics' for me!

:blush:
Mags done it the same year as me, he'll give you a more neutral review; you'll probably catch him on youtube :smile: I think big Gavintc, Scook and Eludino have done it too and there are probably a few other I'm missing out.

Seamab

Hi JimBR

I did this event the first year it was held. I had only 2 complaints: the location of the first feed stop(too early - but i think they sorted that) and the general road surfaces which were poor especially in the run down to Aberfoyle from Loch Katrine and the Fintry to Stirling sections. The final descent into Stirling from North Third was a shocker (not sure if the route still goes down that road?).

Someone with local knowledge maybe Scook or Eldudino will know the current state of the roads in that area.

It's also a moderately hilly ride with the Dukes Pass, Crow Rd included.

In terms of time, 2 months is plenty to get prepared. It sounds like your really looking to complete the ride rather than any specific time targets? The most important aspect will be pacing - keep a steady repeatable pace throughout, especially from the off, don't max out on the hills (make sure your gearing is low enough to allow this) and any surplus energy you can use for the final stretch. You'd be amazed how many blow up on the second half of a sportive.

You've got time enough to do the odd recce of bits of the route that are close to Glasgow and a few runs up the Crow Rd might be good to give you confidence. Get in some solid endurance runs at the weekends to build up stamina.

All in all it's a pretty nice route.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Scook and I did the 100k route last year, but I've been out with the club on most of the roads since Christmas, summary is as follows:

A811
No problems on this road in terms of the odd pothole, generally though the wind will be in your face!

Link between A811 and A873
This road is quite rough, lots of potholes and gravel over the road.

A873
Much the same as the A811, you might slow a bit at this point as it's quite rolling.

Dukes Pass
Fine on the ascent, descent is generally ok too, some rough patches that are clearly visible.

Loch Katrine loop:
Haven't done this.

A81/A875:
Mostly ok down these roads, much the same as A811.

Crow Road:
Main ascent is fine, there's some gravel patches as you go across the top of the Campsies, the descent is generally ok apart from when you're nearing the hairpin at the bottom - go SLOW!

Carron Valley:
Rough as f••k! Not a road to ride in a pack, I was down there the last two weekends (don't know why?!!) and it's not that enjoyable. It's fine from Carron Hotel to Stirling, apart from the section around Old Sauchie. The route has changed to avoid North Third as this road's even worse!

I won't be doing it this year as my wife's due on the 6th May, though a visit to the hospital today came with the news that she could be induced in 2 weeks time! Get plenty of time on the bike, Jim. Aim to get an hour a day on the bike, 3hours on Saturday/Sunday and have a weekend day off, you should be ok with that.

MrRidley

Not doing the run itself Jim, but quite happy to go on a few recce runs with you if needed, i've done quite a few of the roads it uses.

OP
OP
JiMBR

JiMBR

Thanks guys...all good advice.

@jimbhoy

much appreciated...I might take you up on that!

Seamab

A81/A875:
Mostly ok down these roads, much the same as A811.

Hi, i was over at Aberfoyle (in the car) yesterday. The road alongside Loch Ard is an absolute horror story.

The A81 was closed (presumably for roadworks?), so that might be good for the future.

sayek1

I did this last year as my 1st ever 100miler with not too much prep - hard work but really enjoyable and now I've done 5 or 6 100milers I have to say that this is still the best organised - although the Ken Laidlaw comes a close 2nd. The weather last year probably helped - brilliant although it got quite hot in the afternoon.

The climbs aren't too bad - I am relatively big, so just view them as a long slog and let everyone else go past. There are many worse climbs/hills around the west of Scotland.

I am looking forward to this years ride and although I hear the surfaces in places are poor it should still be a good event. There are enough people around that I am sure you'll find company throughout the day - its very friendly and the support is good. Proper lunch so you can have a good break and the feed stations are in all the right places with plenty of water/food to go around.

The sense of achievement is great and I am sure you'll look back and think why didnt I do this sooner. Go for it. Good Luck If you don't do this one then try the Glasgow 100 - this is my local area and the route looks great - probably similar in climbs/gradient to the TT and fantastic scenery. You wont regret it and there are a few places on both of them that you can reconsider and bail out if you change your mind.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Hi, i was over at Aberfoyle (in the car) yesterday. The road alongside Loch Ard is an absolute horror story.
Yes, the road from Aberfoyle to Stronachlachar is one of the worst roads in the country in terms of it's surface, there are a few decent sections but lots of it is horrendously potholed and broken up.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If the Trossachs Ton doesn't happen for you, there is the 3 Glens Explorer audax in September - Linlithgow, Milnathort, Dunning, Auchterarder, Kinbuck, Causewayhead, Bo'ness, Li'li'gow.

edindave

Über Member
I signed up for the 100 mile last night. Any one else going for it?
smile.gif

This will be my longest ride ever. I'm hoping that Kinross Red (79M), Etape (81M), and the few 40-50-60 milers I've done since will be enough prep.
unsure.gif

Top Bottom