Trouble buying trousers???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mosschops2

Afternoon all.

I went into a shop in Macclesfield on Saturday, to buy some smart going out trousers. Nothing to OTT, but smarter than the usual jeans.

Being a 34 waist (although being rather closer to 35 than I care to admit), I found only one pair of trousers fitted at all!!! Out of a range of brands, I tried on about 7 pairs. The 34s were in general not very generous around the hips - in terms of centimetres of material, and looked rather shall I say, tight across the front.

The 36s had more girth, but were too big both in the waist, and too "Simon Cowell" - you'd have to pull them up to wear them comfortably!

I'm a fairly fit 6'1" and 13 stone 1, but was amazed that I had such little choice!!

Has anyone else found this??

(Or is it simply that I've got a big backside??!!)

Big Bren

mosschops2 said:

In tailoring terminology, Sir has a 'powerful seat' (that was actually said to a friend of mine when being fitted for his wedding suit!)

Bren

Mr Phoebus

I used to do powerlifting and even competed in Britain's strongest man.
For years I had to wear gym baggies, as I couldn't get 32" waist trousers/jeans
that I could get over my thighs.(even when I could, I couldn't bend down)
Now it's great being able to get trousers to fit. ;)

Melvil

I have similar trouble - I'm just over 32" waist (alright, probably 33"!) and I'm 5' 11' and it seems I have to go up to 34" and have baggy jeans or go with 32"s and have that vaguely uncomfortable feeling you get with trousers that are that little bit too tight.

Cab

Trousers seem to be modelled on people who are sedentary. You can really struggle to get trousers that fit over cycling-thighs, unless you go for 'loose fit' or 'baggy' cuts. The basic problem isn't our legs, its all those car-driving-no-excercise people for whom the clothes are designed. You know, the majority.

OP
OP
mosschops2

mosschops2

Cheers for the replies!! I agree Cab - thing is - it's not as if I'm a massive cyclist - I only do about 35 miles a week (2.5 miles commute with (literally) a couple of 10-15 milers thrown in) - so it's not like I'm a 80 mile a day roady!!

Trousers not fitting is the bane of my life!
I like the 'they're designed for sedentary people' comment...

S

mosschops2 said:
Afternoon all.

I went into a shop in Macclesfield on Saturday, to buy some smart going out trousers. Nothing to OTT, but smarter than the usual jeans.

Being a 34 waist (although being rather closer to 35 than I care to admit), I found only one pair of trousers fitted at all!!! Out of a range of brands, I tried on about 7 pairs. The 34s were in general not very generous around the hips - in terms of centimetres of material, and looked rather shall I say, tight across the front.

The 36s had more girth, but were too big both in the waist, and too "Simon Cowell" - you'd have to pull them up to wear them comfortably!

I'm a fairly fit 6'1" and 13 stone 1, but was amazed that I had such little choice!!

Has anyone else found this??

Have you tried some of the larger womens' sizes?

gavintc

Guru
I do not have as much a problem now as when I was a little younger (and fitter). I used to take 29inch waist with 34 inside leg. I have bulked up a bit since and am now 32/34. I find jeans the hardest to get a decent fit and that many pairs demand no thigh muscle at all.

postman

Legendary Member
Have to go to special shops.High and Mighty in Leeds.38 or 40 waist 34 or 35 inside leg.Normal shops only do 33 inside leg.So finish up paying thirty five to forty quid but they are very good and last a good few years.

Cab

mosschops2 said:
Cheers for the replies!! I agree Cab - thing is - it's not as if I'm a massive cyclist - I only do about 35 miles a week (2.5 miles commute with (literally) a couple of 10-15 milers thrown in) - so it's not like I'm a 80 mile a day roady!!

Doesn't matter, its still 35 miles of cycling more than most people. 35 miles more of any excercise at all than many people!

Top Bottom