Trouble removing stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tisaac

Hello

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help with this problem I'm facing.

I'm trying to remove the stem (and handlebars) from a fairly old Ridgeback hybrid. It looks like this:

108977-aa7684d6671b2d3007331c3878f88410.jpg

I have tried loosening the bolt on the stem (as you can see) but that doesn't have any effect. Does this mean it's stuck? Or do I perhaps need to loosen the 36mm nut at the bottom of the stem as well?

In my attempts to find the answer I have read about people hammering the bolt, however I'm not entirely sure if that's appropriate for me. Although... I tried it anyway and it didn't make any difference.

(The reason for doing this is I have a load of spare parts - handlebars, groupset, wheels - which I was going to put on this frame, just for fun really. However, the one area I've never changed on a bike is the headset and stem...)

Thanks!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 35
There are two Large Nuts (in black) at the bottom of the stem loosen the top and the bottom one and your stem should come out.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Exactly as the picture shiews just smack the stem bolt hard as said, the expander will release, the bolt will drop down and the stem should be loose, unless it's corroded!

Shaun

What you could try is to spray some WD40 on the stem from above and from below. If you invert your cycle you should see a tube between your forks , spray WD40 down inside the tube, this may help if the expander is seized inside the stem and also if the stem is seized. Let it soak in for a while and try again ,but as been mentioned in previous comments slacken the top nut but not too much and Tap the bolt down to loosen the expander. If it doesn't move try gripping the front wheel and try twisting the bars back and forth.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In case it helps to visualise it, this is what a quill stem looks like:
21760.jpg

The bolt, when tightened, pulls the wedge upwards and tightens it against the steerer tube. If you've loosened the bolt, the wedge and / or stem is likely stuck to the inside of the steerer due to corrosion. A good thwack to the bolt should be enough to knock the wedge downwards and loosen the whole assembly.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
If its corroded You need to give it a real good whack not with a bit of wood on it as this will absorb to much of the force, and if you are scrapping the stem it makes no difference. If this fails turn the bike over take out the front wheel and pour a load of release fluid down the bottom of the steerer tube(plus gas or the like, WD40 aint up to it really) you might need to leave it over night before you have another go at it. if its really stuck you need to get medievel on it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You need to whack the nut in order to free off the stem. You may come across a few things on T'internet about freeing stuck stem/seatposts but these shouldn't apply as that is a steel stem in what looks to be a steel frame. Penetrating oil and wiggle it from side to side is best once you have released the expander wedge.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You only need to back the stem bolt off a couple of turns, if that, before you whack it. My theory (which could be utter cobblers, I'm not claiming to be an engineer) is that if you just back it off a little bit then you have the maximum amount of thread engaged with the expander to transfer the force of your hammer/mallet/whatever blow. There's no point backing it off a long way as you only need to shift it a millimetre or so to free it.

Once you've disengaged the expander, the stem may still be stuck inside the steerer tube. Let's just hope it isn't. Twisting, wiggling, and if necessary whacking should sort it.

OP
OP
T

Tisaac

Thanks guys. It's actually an aluminium frame by the way. Looking from underneath there does appear to be a lot of rust in there

si_c

Guru
You only need to back the stem bolt off a couple of turns, if that, before you whack it. My theory (which could be utter cobblers, I'm not claiming to be an engineer) is that if you just back it off a little bit then you have the maximum amount of thread engaged with the expander to transfer the force of your hammer/mallet/whatever blow. There's no point backing it off a long way as you only need to shift it a millimetre or so to free it.

Once you've disengaged the expander, the stem may still be stuck inside the steerer tube. Let's just hope it isn't. Twisting, wiggling, and if necessary whacking should sort it.

Mostly true. When the wedge is tight against the stem there is usually 1/4" to 1/2" of the threads below the bottom of the wedge, depending how they were designed. On my quill, I have closer to 1/2". You can therefore loosen the bolt a fair bit more than a couple of turns, which will allow the bolt to force the wedge further down when struck. This has the side effect of making the bolt easier to strike on some models of quill, especially riser ones where the bolt is recessed below the top of the stem to allow a rubber or plastic cap to be seated over the top.

si_c

Guru
Thanks guys. It's actually an aluminium frame by the way. Looking from underneath there does appear to be a lot of rust in there

If it is an aluminium frame with alu stem, then there shouldn't be much rust, just dirt. Also if it is alu then the chance of a seized stem is diminished. Give the bolt on the stem a good whack, from your photo it is still raised above the stem, which indicates that the wedge is still in place.

OP
OP
T

Tisaac

I think the stem and fork might be steel. My fridge magnet sticks to the stem and fork, but not the frame.
I've hit it pretty hard quite a few times and no joy... and sprayed in wd40... I fear it's beyond me. Thanks for all the advice though!

Top Bottom