Trouble removing stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think the stem and fork might be steel. My fridge magnet sticks to the stem and fork, but not the frame.
I've hit it pretty hard quite a few times and no joy... and sprayed in wd40... I fear it's beyond me. Thanks for all the advice though!
So the stem bolt is still standing proud of the stem like in the picture?

Whack it again. Harder*

I'm dubious about whether WD40 will help, but I'll steer clear of that subject as it is one on which people have strong opinions.

* Disclaimer: I am just some idiot on the internet. Don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So the stem bolt is still standing proud of the stem like in the picture?

Whack it again. Harder*

I'm dubious about whether WD40 will help, but I'll steer clear of that subject as it is one on which people have strong opinions.

* Disclaimer: I am just some idiot on the internet. Don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong.
Glad you posted that not me :whistle: but in truth until you've shocked the wedge free it ain't going nowhere. Turn the bike upside down and squirt/pour some penetrating oil inside the bottom of the fork, leave it a bit then turn the bike the right way up and give it a big whack on the stem bolt.

si_c

Guru
Just keep whacking till the bolt and wedge drop loose. If you can't get it out, your LBS should be able to so it, and they shouldn't charge more than a tenner.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just to say, thanks again for all the help. Was convinced it was stuck forever but finally got it out! Sprayed a load of chemicals in and hit it repeatedly and eventually it came loose.
It's the only language they understand

TL705.jpg

Top Bottom