Trouser-related back injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I kid you not, I injured my back getting changed at work. I've been signed off or two weeks and I won't be able to ride my bike.

Dr said stay active though so as soon as I'm mobile I'll be loosening it up on the turbo.

gom

Über Member
Yes, it’s amazing what a “little” tweak can lead to.
You can fall off a stationary bike & break a leg, or come off during a lunatic descent and leave scarcely a hair out of place. If the dice fall badly ....
Hope it mends quickly and you’re back out soon.

Slick

Guru
The back is a strange animal, obviously the damage was done by earlier, probably poor technique over a period of time, then any simple movement is the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak. Take it easy.:thumbsup:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Doesn't surprise me. Backs can be fickle.
A few years back I loaded my car with a day's diving equipment for myself, Mrs B and child 1. x3 Weight belts and drysuits, six cylinders, plus all the other kit. No problem. Car duly loaded I walked back in the house to say we were ready to go and casually picked up a pair of flip flops. Something in my back went. Spent over 3 hours lying in my hall while spasms subsided and a week off work walking like some had rammed something where the sun doesn't shine. Took physio to get relief.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Walking to town and back definitely helps, though the walk there is hard work. It's weird having to walk at the same pace as normal people.

hoopdriver

Guru
Check with your doctor or physio as to when to begin, but a course of gentle stretching would almost certainly be a good idea. Coupled with walking it should help get your back supple again. I am not at all surprised that it was something as simple as putting on your trousers that appears to have caused the injury although the weakness, the susceptibility, would already have been there. Stretching will help with that and hopefully help avoid a ‘next time’

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'd love to be able to do some gentle stretching first thing every morning, but it's not really possible.

Up at 0430 and into my car for the 100 mile commute.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd love to be able to do some gentle stretching first thing every morning, but it's not really possible.

Up at 0430 and into my car for the 100 mile commute.
And that’s probably what is part of the issue! I realise car seat ergonomics might have improved in the last 25 years, but when I did my back in needing surgery, the consultant told me that car seats are the very worst thing for bad backs! I had to lie across the back seat for the post op return journey from N Yorks to S London as the only way the surgeon would allow me to travel!

Stretch before bed and when you get to work perhaps?

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've injured my back twice just by picking a towel up in the bathroom. I was in much pain and off work for a week afterwards both times, so you have my sympathies.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did it a few weeks ago when I reached for something on my bedside table. Back went into spasm giving me three days of pain.

Alan O

Über Member
I've been suffering from a bad back for nearly two weeks now - a sciatic nerve thing that I get occasionally, but which usually clears up in a day or two.

I never have back problems cycling or at the gym, I guess because I always do stretching and warming up - when my back goes, it's always doing something innocuous like standing up out of a chair, or picking up a bag, or something.

Fortunately, with regular stretching exercises, it's gradually getting better. And being on a bike is helping, so I've managed to do a couple of rides this week. But lingering back pain is very annoying.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It seems I have a weakness despite regularly doing strenuous climbs that are definitely strengthening my back.

TBH I suspect it's because I have almost no flexibility. I visited an osteopath a couple of years back and he said I was the stiffest person he'd ever worked on. And he wasn't talking about my man sossy.

I think I have to find a form of exercise that isn't cycling or running (all I've ever really done). A colleague suggested pilates but maybe yoga or tai chi? I dunno, none of that stuff has ever really interested me, and if I move the sofa I won't be able to see the telly, anyway.

Top Bottom