TRP Spyre maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Any tips on how to keep these in fine fettle?

My bike's just been through winter on them.

The back one is pretty faded so I'm going to redo the cable & outer (will get some compressionless) and use some emery paper on the (original) pads. I just wondered whether there are any other maintenance tips to watch out for.

Thanks in advance !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rear disc brakes seem to suffer far worse than the front. Especially with the cables. If you have a long outer cable run then moisture can collect in the bottom run bends making braking pretty spongy and useless. So yes, changing cables is a good start.
In regards to emery paper on the pads. Are you road riding or MTB'ing? In tens of thousands of road miles with disc brakes I have never had the need to use emery paper on the pads or clean the rotors.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Rear disc brakes seem to suffer far worse than the front. Especially with the cables. If you have a long outer cable run then moisture can collect in the bottom run bends making braking pretty spongy and useless. So yes, changing cables is a good start.
In regards to emery paper on the pads. Are you road riding or MTB'ing? In tens of thousands of road miles with disc brakes I have never had the need to use emery paper on the pads or clean the rotors.

All road, Ian. Although I have full length outers the back brake froze a bit in winter so there must be moisture in there.

I tried the recommended bedding in process when I first fitted the brakes. The front one is excellent but the rear just never seemed to get there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Then yes. Changing the rear cable is a good start. Freezing cables is a problem with long cable runs. You will really notice the difference afterwards.

I use Disco Brakes semi metallic pads. they seem to have the best balance of good price, low noise in wet, long lasting and very grippy.

Slick

Guru
I know I posted this before and was probably the only person who experienced this issue but after a long hard winter, my rear brake would always jam and it was the small stainless actuating arm on the mechanism that would take the brunt of the road salt and despite my best efforts, I had to swap them for full hydro.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The best thing I did to my Spyres to improve braking was fit sintered pads. Other than that they have had no maintenance and still work well enough to stop me when I need them too, locking the rear if needed.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I know I posted this before and was probably the only person who experienced this issue but after a long hard winter, my rear brake would always jam and it was the small stainless actuating arm on the mechanism that would take the brunt of the road salt and despite my best efforts, I had to swap them for full hydro.
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for this.

Top Bottom