TRP Spyre parts advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
This morning it was time to put new pads in the rear caliper on my Spa.

Unfortunately the 3mm Allen bolt that retains the pads wouldn't turn so I applied a bit more pressure and rounded the head.:wacko:

My question, does anyone know of a source of parts for these brakes, or do I have to buy a complete caliper?

annirak

Veteran
If it were me, I'd take it to an LBS and get them to release it. I have seen replacement retention bolts, so that shouldn't be an issue. SJS has them, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

The real challenge is removing the bolt. Can you get a pair of pliers onto it? Did you remove the retention clip from the opposite side?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
If it were me, I'd take it to an LBS and get them to release it. I have seen replacement retention bolts, so that shouldn't be an issue. SJS has them, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

The real challenge is removing the bolt. Can you get a pair of pliers onto it? Did you remove the retention clip from the opposite side?

Perfect! Thank you.

Should have known SJSC would have them. I'll cycle over there tomorrow to pick one up.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Well SJS sold me a replacement bolt^_^

I then went home and turned my attention to removing the stuck bolt. Pentrating oil overnight, then pliers - no movement.

Bought screw extractors from Screwfix. Managed to take the head off the bolt.
Tried to remove the remains of the bolt with pliers from the back. Sheared.

Tried drilling out the bolt. Made a mess.

Ordered a replacement caliper from eBay.

All for the want of a drop of grease!

Moodyman

Legendary Member

I then went home and turned my attention to removing the stuck bolt. Pentrating oil overnight, then pliers - no movement.

Yep, a bit of preventative maintenance is all it takes to avoid probs later in.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
All true.

I know when it happened.

I toured in May and suffered a day of torrential rain on sandy tracks through the woods. That evening I took out the pads to flush out the muck with a garden hose. I had no grease so put the brakes back together dry.

Did I remember to regrease when I got home? What do you think?:laugh:

DRM

Guru

The problem with Spyres is that for reasons best known to themselves, Tektro apply thread lock to the adjuster grub screws, as you've found out the hard way, once you crack the thread lock it's a piece of cake to adjust them, I had exactly the same problem, but using a new quality Allen key, fully inserted loosened them, it's nothing to do with a lack of grease I'm afraid

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
The problem with Spyres is that for reasons best known to themselves, Tektro apply thread lock to the adjuster grub screws, as you've found out the hard way, once you crack the thread lock it's a piece of cake to adjust them, I had exactly the same problem, but using a new quality Allen key, fully inserted loosened them, it's nothing to do with a lack of grease I'm afraid

Yes, I had found that out about the adjusters. My problem was with the retaining bot, though.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
But you posted about the 3mm adjusting grub screw rounding off, not the mounting bolt :wacko:

Not the adjusting grub or the mounting bolt. This thing.
47365.jpg

Top Bottom