Trusting an old frame on the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
A while back I decided that I would like to put my old Gazelle Champion Mondial 753 back on the road and have a few rides on it now and again. I have put in a new bottom bracket and compact chainset, apart from that all I intended to do was renew the cables, bar tape and touch in a few of the paint chips. Yesterday while I had the forks out I had a good look around the bottom end near the dropouts where there are some (drain holes?) Of course I expected to see some sign of rust and there is, inside. But now I think I am wondering about the wisdom of riding a bike that I bought in the late 80's on todays terribly potholed roads. A friend has given me a set of good 531 forks that I could fit, but now of course my thoughts have turned to whether the frame might be weakened somewhere. It might not be and maybe I am just worrying unnecessarily, the forks might be ok too, but the thought is in my head now. I haven't actually ridden the bike, apart from an odd outing, for about 15 years. I never rode the bike during the winters so it has never seen salted roads and it is in good nick. I would love to finish it now and ride it but it would be always in the back of my mind that it might not be as strong as it needs to be to withstand the lousy roads. Maybe they are more robust than I imagine. There are some lovely old bikes on here that are older than mine, how do you feel about riding them? Should I just enjoy it or am I right to be cautious?
Thanks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DaveyA over 90% of my riding is done on steel bikes that date from the same era as yours , and being honest in about 5 years i have only felt 1 bike to be unsafe , due to what felt like the frame flexing as i rode along .

so my advise would be to ride and enjoy it or if you are that worried pack and box it up for me to use

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Well that's very encouraging. I am a lightweight too which should help, around 54 kilos. 8 1/2 stone in old money.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@DaveyA I'm riding my 1986 Raleigh Team regularly; usually on the 20+ mile commute but it's also been on a club run.

It's designed to be my 'bad weather commuter', having run a 1987 road bike throughout the winters of 2011/12 and 2012/13 and this during 2013/14.

Don't worry - they're designed to be used. Many riders turn to 1980's/90's machines during the winter. They're simpler and cheaper to maintain and repair.

1927 and still in weekly use:
StevenRobson-1.jpg

The holes, by the way, are to let out air out as it expands from the heat of brazing, instead of pushing out through the liquid brass.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Well, thanks for the reassurance everyone.
1927? that's amazing. What a great looking machine as well. I thought there was more to the holes than drainage, especially as there are some at the top of the fork.

I can put some pictures up when its finished if you want.

HovR

Über Member
As said above, unless there is heavy external rust, it'll be fine. Both my road frames are a few years on either side of the late 70's/early 80's and they've been fine for the few thousand miles I have on them, including many fast descents. I'd recommend giving it new brake pads though. Modern pads give much better stopping power, especially if your old ones have perished or dried out at all.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well, thanks for the reassurance everyone.
1927? that's amazing. What a great looking machine as well. I thought there was more to the holes than drainage, especially as there are some at the top of the fork.

I can put some pictures up when its finished if you want.
yes please to pics

I've ran a few old frames over the years, and FYI I've never been a lightweight :whistle:

Can't really add anything that's not been said, but trust your instinct and inspect the frame regularly as you should anyway.

FWIW whenever I've restored a steel framed bike I've always sprayed the inside of the frame and forks with Waxoyl, it might be overkill but IMO it's all about peace of mind.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

Top Bottom