'Try before buy' Saddle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ro76523

Anyone interested in a 'try before buy' service. Different from a LBS service I can offer automated service, based on your ride data and inputs, that will suggest 3 most suitable models across a variety of suitable brands, delivered to your door for a months trial. Rental/trial cost will be deducted from saddle purchase! Please let me know if this would be of interest to you! Appreciate your time.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How wide a range of brands would you offer ?

And what do you know about saddles and cycling ?

OP
OP
R

Ro76523

How wide a range of brands would you offer ?

And what do you know about saddles and cycling ?

A wide range of brands and models within each brand to suit all types of cyclists.

The advice tool and saddle recommendations will be powered by professional bike fitters knowledge and expertise. I personally am knowledge about saddles and indeed cycling but would rather get the advice tool backed by professional bike fitters themselves.

OP
OP
R

Ro76523

You can offer automated service or plan to be able to? I think your claims are bold and if saddle companies can’t manage to work this out I’d be suppressed if anyone else can.

Will offer this very shortly. See my comment below: automated recommendations will be through a bike-fitter backed tool. Obviously saddles are unique to everyone, which is why I am offering this service in the first place, but hope to help others make more informed decisions, which should lead to finding that perfect saddle a lot more affordable and simple!

fossala

Guru
What tool is being employed? What sort of questions are being asked? Can you explain to me why you are confident you can find a saddle for someone remotely with a degree of success where everyone else fails?

I’m honestly intrigued, I have a saddle (SMP full carbon lite) that is the least offensive to my backside. I don’t love it but causes me no saddle sores or genital numbness.

What is the cost for the service? As I see it, you fail the burden falls on the customer, Is it fair you fail and still charge? You can try a lot of saddles for a refundable deposit some others have a small charge or unlimited swaps within a few months.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A wide range of brands and models within each brand to suit all types of cyclists.

The advice tool and saddle recommendations will be powered by professional bike fitters knowledge and expertise. I personally am knowledge about saddles and indeed cycling but would rather get the advice tool backed by professional bike fitters themselves.

Good luck I think you will need it , saddles are a minefield for sure

OP
OP
R

Ro76523

What tool is being employed? What sort of questions are being asked? Can you explain to me why you are confident you can find a saddle for someone remotely with a degree of success where everyone else fails?

I’m honestly intrigued, I have a saddle (SMP full carbon lite) that is the least offensive to my backside. I don’t love it but causes me no saddle sores or genital numbness.

What is the cost for the service? As I see it I f you fail as the burden falls on the customer, Is it fair you fail and still charge? You can try a lot of saddles for a refundable deposit some others have a small charge or unlimited swaps within a few months.
Won't be revealing all yet, but it is a reccomendation tool based on expert professional knowledge and experience. It is only a recommendation and not fail-proof, but by eliminating the saddles that have already not worked for a customer, it is hoped that we can easily find appropriate alternatives.
Cost depends on the saddle (but between £10-35) for a 14 day trial, which can be extended, and will be refunded if the saddle is purchased.

fossala

Guru
Won't be revealing all yet, but it is a reccomendation tool based on expert professional knowledge and experience. It is only a recommendation and not fail-proof, but by eliminating the saddles that have already not worked for a customer, it is hoped that we can easily find appropriate alternatives.
Cost depends on the saddle (but between £10-35) for a 14 day trial, which can be extended, and will be refunded if the saddle is purchased.
But again, it’s win win for you. You fail and keep money or succeed and sell a saddle at presumably RRP?

If I tried a saddle and found it uncomfortable but also had my saddle too high this would be crossed off on your list and so would other similar saddles? There are a million reasons someone doesn’t get on with their saddle.

It would be great if you could do this, but with SMP, fizik, Brooks, ISM offering free trials why would I pick you?

OP
OP
R

Ro76523

But again, it’s win win for you. You fail and keep money or succeed and sell a saddle at presumably RRP?

If I tried a saddle and found it uncomfortable but also had my saddle too high this would be crossed off on your list and so would other similar saddles? There are a million reasons someone doesn’t get on with their saddle.

It would be great if you could do this, but with SMP, fizik, Brooks, ISM offering free trials why would I pick you?

1) It is not a fail, as I am not claiming to solve all issues or gurantee that you will get on with the saddle. It's also not a win-win as not even covering costs from rentals alone, yes saddle will be sold at RRP minus rental cost.
2) This is correct, and only a costly bike fit can truly sort out underlying issues. Often at a bike fit, you are given a saddle, seems comfortable for 5 mins in the studio and a static trainer and then you try it for a month and its rubbish. This offers you the chance to take it out on the road and reallt test the saddle. Most people know their saddle height and have a comfortable reach but it is their saddle that gives them issues.
3) When you go with a certain brand you are then given to credit to spend only with that brand if you return saddle, I offer many brands and models of brands.

fossala

Guru
1) It is not a fail, as I am not claiming to solve all issues or gurantee that you will get on with the saddle. It's also not a win-win as not even covering costs from rentals alone, yes saddle will be sold at RRP minus rental cost.
2) This is correct, and only a costly bike fit can truly sort out underlying issues. Often at a bike fit, you are given a saddle, seems comfortable for 5 mins in the studio and a static trainer and then you try it for a month and its rubbish. This offers you the chance to take it out on the road and reallt test the saddle. Most people know their saddle height and have a comfortable reach but it is their saddle that gives them issues.
3) When you go with a certain brand you are then given to credit to spend only with that brand if you return saddle, I offer many brands and models of brands.
With number one it is a failure. You can’t set out with a program that helps people find a saddle, charge them for the service and then claim that if it doesn’t work (spoiler; I can’t see it myself) you haven’t failed. That’s some interesting mental gymnastics.

A bike fitter has you come back multiple times for the one off fee because they understand thatbike fitting is more complicated that putting numbers into a computer.

With number 3, that isn’t the case. Selle SMP, ISM, Brooks, Bontrager and Fizik all do free testing and that’s the ones I know off the top of my head. I guess your USP is being a one stop shop to test saddles. Best of luck with your endeavour.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My local bike shop offers a free saddle fitting service. When you buy a saddle you can pay £10 over the saddle fee. You can then return that saddle anytime within 3 months and change it for a saddle of the same price, if you dont get on with it. The £10 obviously goes to the LBS for providing this service.

I think this trumps what you are offering.

Tom B

Guru
What is going to happen to all the returned saddles with chomp marks in the rails, scuffs and bum juice stains on them?

Do the get put back in the stock for more and more people to try or do you maintain a try before you buy tool

. The £10 obviously goes to the LBS for providing this service.

And no doubt fund any losses on the returns.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What is going to happen to all the returned saddles with chomp marks in the rails, scuffs and bum juice stains on them?

Do the get put back in the stock for more and more people to try or do you maintain a try before you buy tool

And no doubt fund any losses on the returns.
I dont know what happens to them. But all the saddles I have looked at on display have been perfect.

Top Bottom