Trying out leather shoes on the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Because I cant walk around the shops/work in proper cycling shoes I have always used flat pedals (now with strapless clips) with normal shoes. They tend to look a little like cycling shoes tbh because that shape seems to suit the pedal anyway.

However my old shoes began falling apart last year. Did some basic repairs myself and managed to make them last until this week. In the end I went out and bought a cheap pair of tanned leather shoes from Barratts. £30 and they look a little like those posh Italian handmade leather cycling shoes you can get, but £200 cheaper! :ohmy:

Only downside is the soles are a little too big and the toes too pointy for the strapless. Will need to look at buying another pair. ;)

What are you guys riding in?

What's wrong with SPD's?

dondare

Über Member
I cycle in cycling shoes which have a thick enough tread to recess the cleats. The pedals are eggbeater.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Take another pair of shoes with you then you can ride in whatever you want. I often take a pair of sandals if I'm going in to town on non working days. (I always remove my socks though). Will take trainers or shoes when it get colder or wetter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTB SPD's for the commute. Leave 'normal' shoes at work, and have a spare pair to carry with me when on business trips....usually leave the spare pair at home so I can go straight to another site if need be. Easy !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
fossyant said:
MTB SPD's for the commute. Leave 'normal' shoes at work, and have a spare pair to carry with me when on business trips....usually leave the spare pair at home so I can go straight to another site if need be. Easy !

Yep thats what works for me

mark barker

I just wear an old pair of trainers! When I first started riding a recumbent everyone was telling me I'd need "proper" cycling shoes to hold my feet on the pedals... Never had a problem with my feet falling off the pedals yet

dondare

Über Member
mark barker said:
I just wear an old pair of trainers! When I first started riding a recumbent everyone was telling me I'd need "proper" cycling shoes to hold my feet on the pedals... Never had a problem with my feet falling off the pedals yet

Do bents have toeclips or heelclips?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
guitarpete247 said:
Take another pair of shoes with you then you can ride in whatever you want. I often take a pair of sandals if I'm going in to town on non working days. (I always remove my socks though). Will take trainers or shoes when it get colder or wetter.

I'm limited for space at work.I have a small locker just big enough for uniform, work shoes and some sarnies. Work stuff comes out, cycling gear goes in and so on.

hackbike 666 said:
What's wrong with SPD's?
Nothing. They're just not practical for me. :ohmy: I also could never decide on which pedal and shoe. Normal shoes I will wear most things, cycling stuff I can be a tart at times. ;)

taxing

Because I'm still new to the game and automatically go to pedal with my instep rather than the ball of my foot, I've just started wearing heels to train myself into putting the ball of my foot on the pedal when I set off. :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I use toe clips and straps with steel toe cap boots when commuting, for general running about I use trainers and on the club runs I use cycling shoes

Top Bottom