Trying to clarify what 11/32 means re cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My understanding is that 'the cassette' has 11 sprockets on the cassette. I am not 100% sure about the 32 part. I am assuming that the 32 is the number of teeth on the largest sprocket. Am I correct, and if not where am I getting it wrong?:wacko:

Big John

Guru
11 is the smallest sprocket, 32 is the largest. It doesn't mean it's an 11 speed cassette.

Alex321

Veteran
Wow have 12spd become a thing?

The top groupsets in both SRAM and Shimano have been 12 speed for a while. I believe the top Campgnolo one is now 13 speed.

Shimano now have 12 speed in the top 3 (Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think there are really any rules, and people can write what they like, but looking at manufacturers and retailers publications there's a sort-of standard to put a dash between the sprocket sizes: 11-32 ("eleven to thirty-two"). Reserve the slash for chainring sizes, eg 50/34 ("fifty, thirty-four") or 50/39/30. It's also handy if people put a T on the end, to mean teeth as in 11-32T.

That makes things clearer.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I don't think there are really any rules, and people can write what they like, but looking at manufacturers and retailers publications there's a sort-of standard to put a dash between the sprocket sizes: 11-32. Reserve the slash for chainring sizes, eg 50/34 or 50/39/30. It's also handy if people put a T on the end, to mean teeth as in 11-32T.

That makes things clearer.

Effectively, the dash means "to" while the slash means "and".

YellowV2

Veteran
The top groupsets in both SRAM and Shimano have been 12 speed for a while. I believe the top Campgnolo one is now 13 speed.

Shimano now have 12 speed in the top 3 (Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105).

The 13 speed Campagnolo is the 1x Ekar, their road offerings are 12 speed in the top three offerinags.

Top Bottom