Trying to get a tradesman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Brandane could you not buy a few hammers and have a go yourself? Hit, thwack, ker-pow, smack, and before you know it the job will be done,
I might have considered that, if...... my roof wasn't about 25 feet off the ground :laugh:.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The shortage of trades people is down to the big push to get everyone into "Uni" where they could spend a year or two working towards a degree in some non subject before dropping out and working in Tesco.

They'd have been better off (Especially financially) if they'd gone to college and learnt a trade.
I agree that getting a trade would be a far better option for lots of students.
But I suppose the assumption was always to upskill our service workers and allow Polish workers to come and do the hard labour. So we haven’t been “training our own.” For some time now.

newts

Veteran
I agree that getting a trade would be a far better option for lots of students.
But I suppose the assumption was always to upskill our service workers and allow Polish workers to come and do the hard labour. So we haven’t been “training our own.” For some time now.
I think the education system has sneered at the trades for along time, an occupation only good enough for those near dropping out of school.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just a couple examples...
When our new factory was opened 3 years ago'ish, I talked to a tradesman still on site about work...he reckoned you could turn up in London and earn £300 a day, nooo problem. They were crying out for sensible, reliable people, even just to string in Cat5 cables, no experience, no qualifications required. They were already paying people that rate and in his words...they were fookin useless.
A colleague of mine does bathrooms and kitchens privately with his brother. They're flat out, mostly through re commendation. His brother has just gone on the books of a building company, £50k pa plus a fully rigged out van. No stress of being self employed, earning a bit less but far less stress.
I guess when skilled people are short, inevitably rates go up,the higher they go, the less likely someone want little jobbing work, more money to be earned elsewhere.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Rings a bell. I talk with construction site managers a lot and they've been complaining how difficult it is to keep the tradesmen happy. If they don't like something, they walk off the site and straight on to another. He's had guys walk out because there weren't enough kettles in the canteen for their Pot Noodles! Another team of erectors walked off a site in February because it was too windy and cold. Of course, contract managers hear about this and know the people involved but if there's any suggestion of "blackballing", toys go out the pram.

Top Bottom