Trying to get back after a good while!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Give yourself 48 hours clean and clear after any ride where your heart rate was elevated for any significant length of time ( that's personal to you) there certainly is no 'one size fits all' for the criteria here. But you will have a 'performance curve' where time spent at a certain intensity of exertion and time spent doing it, plotted against performance gain ( measureable by FTP, amongst other metrics) will follow a certain pattern. If you operate too far above that theoretical curve, for too long, you will actually end up worsening your fitness level, not improving it. You have to operate above the curve to improve rather than maintain your condition, but the trick is to know how far above your current 'curve' to go, over time, in order to improve, rather than knacker yourself.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Hi all, i went out again today and managed the same 7 mile route (thought it was 5 miles, it was 7) and I've noticed a slight increase in fitness already! :smile: Tuesday I had to stop 3 times to catch my breath (granted start of the ride is a massive hill), today didn't need to at all! :smile: Feeling ok so far which is encouraging! :smile:

Have you had your heart function checked.

Can't say I ever have, no.

Give yourself 48 hours clean and clear after any ride where your heart rate was elevated for any significant length of time ( that's personal to you) there certainly is no 'one size fits all' for the criteria here. But you will have a 'performance curve' where time spent at a certain intensity of exertion and time spent doing it, plotted against performance gain ( measureable by FTP, amongst other metrics) will follow a certain pattern. If you operate too far above that theoretical curve, for too long, you will actually end up worsening your fitness level, not improving it. You have to operate above the curve to improve rather than maintain your condition, but the trick is to know how far above your current 'curve' to go, over time, in order to improve, rather than knacker yourself.

I will definitely keep to the every other day routine (rest being as important as the exercise for gains in fitness). I pretty much always sustain a 60-80% effort on the bike (obviously higher effort with hills) so for now go by mileage alone, starting off very modest distance then slowly increasing mileage, listening to my body, hope for the best. :smile:

Slick

Guru
Hi all, i went out again today and managed the same 7 mile route (thought it was 5 miles, it was 7) and I've noticed a slight increase in fitness already! :smile: Tuesday I had to stop 3 times to catch my breath (granted start of the ride is a massive hill), today didn't need to at all! :smile: Feeling ok so far which is encouraging! :smile:

Can't say I ever have, no.

I will definitely keep to the every other day routine (rest being as important as the exercise for gains in fitness). I pretty much always sustain a 60-80% effort on the bike (obviously higher effort with hills) so for now go by mileage alone, starting off very modest distance then slowly increasing mileage, listening to my body, hope for the best. :smile:
Sounds like a good plan to me. Enjoy.

Top Bottom