Trying to identify a track frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robertemjames

I have an old (70's or 80's) steel track frame which I bought around 15 years ago which had no markings to speak of but looked interesting. The more I have thought about it the more I believe it to be of better quality than I first thought. For starters it has Campagnolo front dropouts and frame and forks have matching short numbers. Its detailing suggests a good quality and thoughtful build with long spearpoint lugs, semi-wrapover seat stays and twin plate fork crown. Can anyone shed any light on its likely maker. Frame number is 7380. Ignore the Reynolds stickers as they were added when I had it painted.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2785.JPG
    IMG_2785.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 22

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Unable to help with identification, sorry, but it looks like a quality frame. Those seat stay tops and the fork crown are lovely.

Welcome to the forum.

oldtel

Hi Robert, that is a quality frame, but dating it and finding an identity is not going to be straight forward, so I just give some initial thoughts that may help. The fork crown I believe looks like it should be late 50's early 60's, the clearances and lugs point to 60's, so the serial number appears not to have a date code in it. All this may or may not help, I'll have a deeper look over the weekend. Thanks Terry

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats nice! Looks like a good quality frame.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd say it's late 60s. Very similar to my Harry Quinn 1969 frame but the frame number is wrong for a HQ. It's a very nice frameset. Probably built for road and track use since the front tyre clearance is quite generous. A 22mm tub almost touches the crown on mine!

Incidentally, the plate track ends are what you need for old Campag Record track hubs. Modern cast ends don't allow you to get the track nuts on securely because these hubs have fairly short axles.

OP
OP
robertemjames

robertemjames

Nothing on Classic Lightweights has the large plate rear dropouts. The little spearpoint on the dual plate fork crown doesn't appear elsewhere either. I feel the frame number 7380 might indicate 80th build in 1973, in line with some opinions which in turn suggests small numbers produced.

OP
OP
robertemjames

robertemjames

Correction: frame number is 7360 and seat post is 26.8mm. Geoffrey Butler anyone?

Top Bottom