Trying to keep intensity down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve recently started taking a more scientific approach to my riding. I have got a more ‘all singing all dancing’ Garmin, and some sensors ( Cadence, H.R. and wheel speed ). The cadence and HR sensors are very handy for helping gauge when my Cadence is in my sweet spot range, and being able to see what my heart rate is doing. And the wheel speed sensor helps out with ironing out any GPS dead spot zero readings. But I don’t know what power I’m putting out at my 90 ( ish ) rpm and how it’s varying as I shift up or down trying to maintain the sweet range of Cadence. More importantly ( for me ) is that I can’t see at a glance, which ‘power zone’ I’m in. Until such times as I can sort power meters out, how closely do HR zones equate to power zones? I’m trying to keep my riding in zone 2 maximum today, as I’m on a long ( ish ) ride and I don’t know how to gauge my efforts using H.R. I guess I’ll know if I’ve done it right by whether or not I blow out before I get home, or not:laugh:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
More or less works out like that - HR zones are what a lot of us used pre power meters. I no longer compete, but on the longer MTB rides in the hills (time wise rather than distance) then I just keep it under the intensity I'd normally ride. My training runs are on relatively flat bridleways as I can cover more distance in a shorter time, but on the Peak District rides, average speed is like 5mph rather than 14 on the MTB, so you need to watch the heart rate. It was the same on 100 mile rides - just roll along under your regular intensity for the short rides.

Top Bottom