TT bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

How much do TT bikes affect your times?

I have been doing TT on my Giant Scr2 in pretty much standard form, without the aid of clip-on TT bars and I'm doing 27-05's. How much of a difference would firstly, a set of clip on TT bars make, and then secondly, a full blown TT bike make?

Steve

Will1985

Über Member
Clip-ons should make the most difference. You can push your saddle as far forward as possible on the rails and drop the stem to bring the geometry closer to a TT bike.
Then aero helmet and tight fitting clothing, then wheels and lastly TT frame.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Yup, handlebars are going to be dropped I think

The only problem about pushing the saddle forwards is that I need to use the bike for normal club runs and then circuit races aswell, so would I need to keep moving the saddle forwards and backwards?

montage

God Almighty
I have heard that a full TT bike can take around 2 mins off your time over 10 miles. Whether true or not, I don't know!

Noodley

Dave5N said:
Or don't waste yer time with pointless testing...

:biggrin::laugh:

I've never done one but it takes a lot less time than doing an audax, and therefore could be more 'family-friendly'. I might give one a go...

Will1985

Über Member
montage said:
I have heard that a full TT bike can take around 2 mins off your time over 10 miles. Whether true or not, I don't know!
Debatable - most of the time savings you see stated on the internet are based on a 40km TT, but that isn't to say your statement isn't potentially true.
All the aero gear will have a greater effect on time reduction for a slow rider to get from 28 to 26 minutes than a pro who is looking to save seconds. Once you get down to sub 24 minute times (or 40km/h average), the aero upgrades will save less time and cost a lot more per second saved.

Getting as good a position as possible on a road bike with clip ons will be a lot cheaper than buying a properly fitted TT bike.
Personally I find wheels have the greatest perceived effect on performance, but in reality it is the helmet and how aero you can get your body (since this creates more drag than the total bike).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A TT bike could be worth a couple of minutes. Clip-on tribars gave me about a minute on my standard time on my road bike. My TT bike knocked another minute off (with standard wheels and clinchers). Some of that extra minute will be due to better quality wheels and faster tyres and, I like to think, my improving fitness.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to TT on my road bike - just slap on some TT clip ons, keep 'em low and that's all you need. Then comes the silly hats and fast wheels. TT bars made the most difference.

Think I'll give a few club 10's a go this year...just to see what's left in the old legs....but I'll just ride using the road bike in 'road bike' mode - i.e. no clip ons.

aran20

You can push your saddle as far forward as possible on the rails and drop the stem to bring the geometry closer to a TT bike.

Not too far though, CTT (Cycling Time Trials) rules state that the tip of your saddle must be no closer than 5cm behind your bottom backet.

Top Bottom