Common Wealth games TT course - embarrassing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As someone who lives on the fringes of the course for the TT what an embarrassment yesterday's time trail was:-

The course has speed bumps on it - FFs !!!

The assembly of railings with protruding legs - accident waiting to happen

And what were road cones doing on a closed road course.

The whole thing looked it had been planned in a couple of hours ...

Embarrassing.

jp1970

Über Member
I watched at both the start point (West Park) and the one 'climb' (Catholic Lane). Watched a few riders ride straight into the barriers at the first corner out of the park. Clearly they didn't do the recce ride the day before ! The marshalling on Catholic Lane was somewhat heavy handed by the private security personnel.
Seeing the pros going full gas up a local climb (5 mins from your doorstep) made it a day to remember.
We did get some cheers riding back from the start point to Sedgley during the break between the 1st and 2nd group.
PS yes agree the route was sh#t and not very well thought out.. But I think it was planned more around getting max coverage for spectators etc

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I watched at both the start point (West Park) and the one 'climb' (Catholic Lane). Watched a few riders ride straight into the barriers at the first corner out of the park. Clearly they didn't do the recce ride the day before !

I read somewhere that the riders were not given the opportunity to recce the route with the barriers in place.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Can I just say that BBC iPlayer is fecking useless

Can I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I was thinking of watching the cycling highlights on iPlayer. From your comments I assume that they are barely worth watching for some reason?

The picture quality was terrible today, it kept breaking up, even on BBC1 before they moved to the iplayer.
The highlights would amount to a bit of a crash 30k into the race, and the last 1k or so.
I struggled to stay awake through this boring race.
It was more like a sunday club run with the odd sprint for a road sign.
Not a good advert for bike racing.:sad:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If the BBC can't do it properly they should give the coverage to someone else. CB fine but the other one clearly knows b. all about cycling.

jp1970

Über Member
The road race course is pretty dull to say the least.

Perfect for Mark Cavendish.
Yep he certainly looks bored !!!!. he was dropped quite early from the 1st group.

IMG_7659.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Can I just say that BBC iPlayer is fecking useless

Can I wholeheartedly agree with you.
At least you don't have to endure 15 minutes of adverts before you can watch anything, only for it to glitch again & you're forced to watch the adverts again, then you can only skip forward as far as the next lot of adverts. If you've watched most of the programme & missed the last 20 minutes you can't get to the 20 minutes without watching 30 minutes of adverts.

ITV Player is by far worse.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At least you don't have to endure 15 minutes of adverts before you can watch anything, only for it to glitch again & you're forced to watch the adverts again, then you can only skip forward as far as the next lot of adverts. If you've watched most of the programme & missed the last 20 minutes you can't get to the 20 minutes without watching 30 minutes of adverts.

I take it back a bit about iPlayer.

It actually went OK once I'd shut my browser down and reloaded it. It had got its knickers in some kind of twist and I was clicking links that went to something utterly unrelated or just didn't work at all.

Chislenko

Veteran

To be honest @Phaeton I am not really a fan of any streaming TV, as my wife constantly tells me "you have no patience" and I can't be bothered waiting for app x y and z to open, then do updates etc.

I much prefer just going up and down the channels like in "the good old days" 😀

D

Deleted member 26715

To be honest @Phaeton I am not really a fan of any streaming TV, as my wife constantly tells me "you have no patience" and I can't be bothered waiting for app x y and z to open, then do updates etc.

I much prefer just going up and down the channels like in "the good old days" 😀

Problem is the choice is so limited on them, not that's it's much better on the streaming stuff in fact some is that dire I worry about the mentality of the people who it's aimed at.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Problem is the choice is so limited on them, not that's it's much better on the streaming stuff in fact some is that dire I worry about the mentality of the people who it's aimed at.
It's funny, I can remember channel four starting (complete with Brookside) and the excitement that caused. Now we have tons of digital channels but the choice is too limited.

OK, a significant percentage of those channels are documentaries about Nazis or aliens (and sometimes both) but still ...

Top Bottom