Commie Games - scary crash into crowd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been a weekend of drama. I haven't managed to see any racing on the telly, but couldn't help hearing about the crashes.
Amazing pictures here: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...taskbar&cvid=156b4e0008954473ace6beca542a9360
1659366768011.png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That's quite the bunny hop

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It was awful, and only luck that injuries weren't more serious. I believe one child was hurt but not too badly, but he narrowly missed a few others.

I also saw Joe Truman go down, which was sickening to watch as he knocked himself out on impact and slowly slid down the track, motionless (apart from the sliding down under gravity bit)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was there, and the crash was just to the left of me.
Very dramatic in the way it happened and very fortunate that the two spectators weren't badly hurt, and the riders, especially Matt Walls, who ended up inthe front row also wasn't badly hurt.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are calls for plexiglass panels to be installed at velodromes now to prevent that happening again.

Sir Chris Hoy said:
This was a direct result of not having some form of barrier at the top of the fencing. It might seem strange that there is nothing to stop riders going over the fence. It's very rare for it to happen but it has over the years - maybe half a dozen times over 20 years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The spectators are more at risk while driving to the velodrome.

And drivers are probably more at risk driving to a hill in a thunderstorm than standing on the hill once they get there, but I still wouldn't recommend it!

The risks to riders and spectators at velodromes may be very small, but the outcomes could be very bad so reasonable steps should be taken to prevent them.

The child in the photo above could very easily have got a chainring in his face!

a load of pointless discussion about "small","very bad", "reasonable", "could have" etc that will never result in us agreeing

Top Bottom