TT Routes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

I'm just looking in to TT at the moment and wondered about how courses are chosen.

Everyone seems to say that 25mins is good for a 10 miler, and 60/70mins is good for a 25 miler, thing is how flat are these routes? If you were to put a big hill (or hills) in either distances then these times would not be achievable.

So is there a maximum amount of ascent allowed on a TT course, like say 250ft or less, or can it be anything within reason?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A lot of TT courses are flattish, or gently rolling. Some are faster than others due to being flatter or more sheltered, or to having a bloody great downhill at the start which you don't have to go back up again (H25/2!).

There are also sporting courses, which use mostly minor roads, and may be much more undulating.

Some courses are hillier- and are labelled as such. There are some mountain TT courses which involve serious amounts of ascending.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It can be anything the organiser wants to include.

Most TT courses are fairly flat, as the majority of riders are more interested in their own time rather than where they are placed on the results and organisers have traditionally sought fast roads for their events to attract large fields.

Some TT's will be described as "Hilly" or "Sporting", which are mostly held over non-standard distances and on these you can expect a fair share of climbing, the severity of which will depend on the local geography and the sadistic intentions of the promoting club.

e-rider

crappy member
most are as flat as possible unless it's a sporting course, in which case it will be 'sold' as a hilly event - of course some routes are faster than others; locals tend to know the fastest courses in the area.

The times you quote would be great for a beginner or someone just having a dabble in TTing. Would be well off the pace compared to the top riders though

wafflycat

TT courses are also governed by local geography - so they aren't always flat. Indeed some are decidedly not flat.. thinks Lakes District course round Bassenthwaite, or the one that climbs up the side of Dartmoor... and that's two out of *loads*

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are many 'drag strip' courses on pretty flat dual carriageways.....i.e. you'll pop a very good time on it. TBH go with your local routes....see how you finish, and work on your position in the field - that will give you a good indicator of how you are doing.

The courses near me are all more nearer 'sporting' - i.e. lots of turns, lumps, bad roads...etc...

scott s10

TechMech said:
I'm just looking in to TT at the moment and wondered about how courses are chosen.

Everyone seems to say that 25mins is good for a 10 miler, and 60/70mins is good for a 25 miler, thing is how flat are these routes? If you were to put a big hill (or hills) in either distances then these times would not be achievable.

So is there a maximum amount of ascent allowed on a TT course, like say 250ft or less, or can it be anything within reason?
put a few big hills in and those times would still be achievable i would have thought

Top Bottom