TT Subaru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With due regard to the Guy Martin thread, how about Mark Higgins attempt on the course?
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/guy-martin-is-back.115973/

Higgins is an ex British Rally Champion, who took a relatively standard (engine-wise) Impreza round the course
Details of the safety mods are in the contributors comments below the footage

37.8 miles in 19.37 (average of 115MPH!)

John McGuiness holds the absolute record for bikes @ 17:31, which is an average speed of 131MPH!:eek: from a standing start (presume Higgins had one too??)

As a counterpoint, Tony Pond tried it in 1990 in a Rover (827i) Vitesse - supposedly standard!!

He recorded 102MPH (22 mins), which in a way is far more impressive than the Higgins run, due to the difference in vehicle/tyre technologies
Ponds was a flying start though

Norm

Ponds was a flying start though
Thanks for all the links and videos, Richard, which makes it seem churlish to say I think Ponds' lap was from a standing start. Whilst the car is moving when the video of the lap starts, it sounds like he's doing a gear change there (I'd guess 1 to 2) and the commentary says that he was 'being timed from the bottom end of the pit'.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
always use to have a video of Walter Rrohl driving a Audi Quattro s1 over a rally stage in either Greece or Cyprus which kept changing from windscreen forward shots to seeing his feet fly around the pedals it was amazing to watch and listen to

always use to have a video of Walter Rrohl driving a Audi Quattro s1 over a rally stage in either Greece or Cyprus which kept changing from windscreen forward shots to seeing his feet fly around the pedals it was amazing to watch and listen to
Yes, believe I've seen it too
Undoubtedly on 'YouTube'

Mentioning quatro's....... Michelle Mouton:wub:

Thanks for all the links and videos, Richard, which makes it seem churlish to say I think Ponds' lap was from a standing start. Whilst the car is moving when the video of the lap starts, it sounds like he's doing a gear change there (I'd guess 1 to 2) and the commentary says that he was 'being timed from the bottom end of the pit'.
Sorry, just seemed to recall reading somewhere/being told by a collegue who used to do the small rallies in Ireland that Ponds was a flying start,
We may be wrong

Norm

Sorry, just seemed to recall reading somewhere/being told by a collegue who used to do the small rallies in Ireland that Ponds was a flying start,
We may be wrong
Ah, then I'll happily concede. I was just going on the gear change at a relatively low speed at the start of the clip, I would have expected him to be going much faster if he was on a flier. :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Michelle Mouton's co driver was quite nice if i remember rightly

i even helped on a service crew one year for 2 girls who worked for one of the airlines who were doing the RAC Rally in one of a mates rent a rally car , we had great fun that year !!!

Top Bottom