TT Subaru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know it's TT Week, so the main focus is on the bikes

However...………..
Have a look at this, it's Mark Higgins (an ex British Rally Champion), back in 2016, taking a (quite modified) Subaru Impreza round

It's a long clip @ 20 minutes+

Note the speed, RPM, 'G', & his heart-rate!!:wacko:

Granted, touching 175MPH briefly, on approach to Ballacrye (@ circa 10:25) isn't much compared to the Superbikes/Senior TT laps, but for a car it's a hell of a lick:eek:

In a way, he has to be even more precise than the bikes, as he's got less room to play with - due to the cars width

It was a 'Flying Lap'
Average speed of; 128.7 MPH
Lap time of; 17.35:1...…………...…...

That would probably have placed him on the podium of the Superbikes that year, if it been decided on a flying lap!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

I haven't heard/read of anyone taking it on, or beating it

I wonder how someone like Sebastian Loeb would fare???

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'll watch it later..

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I know it's TT Week, so the main focus is on the bikes

However...………..
Have a look at this, it's Mark Higgins (an ex British Rally Champion), back in 2016, taking a (quite modified) Subaru Impreza round

It's a long clip @ 20 minutes+

Note the speed, RPM, 'G', & his heart-rate!!:wacko:

Granted, touching 175MPH briefly, on approach to Ballacrye (@ circa 10:25) isn't much compared to the Superbikes/Senior TT laps, but for a car it's a hell of a lick:eek:

In a way, he has to be even more precise than the bikes, as he's got less room to play with - due to the cars width

It was a 'Flying Lap'
Average speed of; 128.7 MPH
Lap time of; 17.35:1...…………...…...

That would probably have placed him on the podium of the Superbikes that year, if it been decided on a flying lap!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

I haven't heard/read of anyone taking it on, or beating it

I wonder how someone like Sebastian Loeb would fare???

Try it on a sidecar. ;)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Visit Pistonheads and put in any old search term about car Vs bike around the TT course and see what a proverbialstorm that always provokes. IIRC he had a huge tankslapper going up the hill just after the start. In many ways Tony Pond's lap in a Rover Vitesse (627i) was even more impressive, given that the car was stock - also worth seeking out.

There's a vhs / dvd of in-car footage from the Manx International rally from the early / mid 80s - so you're talking Vatanen, Toivonen, McCrae Sr, Opel Manta 400... Some of the roads used are the same, and well, it's totally bonkers... :biggrin:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In many ways Tony Pond's lap in a Rover Vitesse (627i) was even more impressive, given that the car was stock ........
It wasn't stock.;)

And his second attempt was in an even more heavily modified Rover. ;)

Don't believe everything you read in the press.;)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It wasn't stock.;)

And his second attempt was in an even more heavily modified Rover. ;)

Don't believe everything you read in the press.;)
I don't, and that rumour has been going back and forth ever since the run, but I've never seen a definitive account. What exactly was done to it?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I don't, and that rumour has been going back and forth ever since the run, but I've never seen a definitive account. What exactly was done to it?
The first car had race tyres and modified (stiffened) suspension.
The second car had race tyres, race suspension, modified brakes, race exhaust, fuelling tweaks, removal of non visible unnecessary weight and a roll cage.
Not exactly what I would describe as 'stock'.
A pal of mine who was involved in the project can confirm this.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thanks.

Let me revise my statement. Notwithstanding the mods, it was still a remarkable achievement to pilot the lump that was the 627 around at an average 100 mph
I agree.
The video was extremely useful from a sidecar racers point of view as the filming platform was level and the lap speed was more akin to what sidecars we're doing at the time.
I found it better as a learning tool than the faster solo videos where the camera leans with the bike. I still recommend it to any sidecar newcomers at the TT.

Top Bottom