TUBE OUT > TUBE IN + rear wheel off / on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

Hi, just checking; that cycle tutorial website (quite good) explains amongst other things how to repair apuncture. It says you should use 3 tyre levers. is this the minimum needed to do the job? i got 2 free with my cycle to work package and just assumed that was enough. do i need another one ?

secondly, silly question, but when removing a rear wheel, is the whole gear mechanism attatched to the wheel or does the wheel come off independantly of gears+chain ?

this would be helpful, i've not really thought enough about it and i'd hate to be stuck alone on a dark night unable to sort myself out !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
JohnRedcoRn said:
Hi, just checking; that cycle tutorial website (quite good) explains amongst other things how to repair apuncture. It says you should use 3 tyre levers. is this the minimum needed to do the job? i got 2 free with my cycle to work package and just assumed that was enough. do i need another one ?

secondly, silly question, but when removing a rear wheel, is the whole gear mechanism attatched to the wheel or does the wheel come off independantly of gears+chain ?

this would be helpful, i've not really thought enough about it and i'd hate to be stuck alone on a dark night unable to sort myself out !

2 levers is normally enough. The gear mech is attached to the bike so the only thing that comes off is the wheel with the gear cog attached.

I would certainly be worth your while practising taking the wheel and tyre off a few times when you have some spare time.

RedBike

i got 2 free with my cycle to work package and just assumed that was enough. do i need another one ?

It all depends in the tyre. Probably not.
I don't carry any; but then again I know my tyres are a slack enough fit to allow a quick release lever to be use as an emergency tyre lever. (Not really recommended).

The gear mechanism is attached the bike. The cogs are attached to the wheel.

Try taking your wheel off then letting down the tyre and pulling the tube out. Then you'll know exactly how many levers it takes / how to do it!

Experimenting in your shed / garage with a mug of tea has to be better than trying to figure it out by the road side.

If you want to make things slightly more realistic then you need to put a pair of gloves and stand under the shower with the light off in the bathroom. Most puncture happen in the rain on debris covered winter roads (ie gloves in winter, shower for the rain).

longers

Legendary Member
Having three is a good idea in case one snaps, bends or breaks.

I did read elsewhere of a lady who came up with the idea of putting reflective stickers on them in case one pings off in the dark. Good idea I thought.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

THANK YOU FOLKS !

i feel a tad more confident now. especially the rear wheel issue, that was worrying me !

02GF74

Über Member
a lot of tyres I can pull off using my hands but otherwise get them off with 2 or 3 levers is freally tight.

to help refit back, wheel, slap the gear changer to biggest gear i.e. smallest cog. That way you don't need to figure out onto which cog the chain should go and helps the axle locate in the drop outs. :ohmy:

Top Bottom