Tube size question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycling_eejit

Über Member
My bike has 27.5" X 1.95" tyres. I've got a puncture, I've repaired it (I think!).
I previously bought a spare inner tube but it's 27.5" X 2.1"-2.5". Will it be OK to use this tube?

Jody

Stubborn git
It'll be fine to use.

OP
OP
C

cycling_eejit

Über Member
OK, I'm not usually this thick and am reasonably mechanically capable but I think I made almost every mistake possible fixing this puncture (and really lived up to my username)

First of all the replacement tube (despite it saying 27.5) looked to be a larger circumference than the one on the bike so I decided not to use it.

I removed the punctured tube, found a tack embedded in the tyre, removed it. Patched the tube (wasn't 100% happy with the patch but went ahead anyway). Reinflated tyre, no good, wasn't holding air.

Removed the tube again and replaced the patch I had done, patch looks good this time. Put it back in the wheel, reinflated - still not holding air!

Took off tube again, found 2nd puncture hole.
Examined the tyre and there was a second tack lodged in a different point, removed it and checked tyre for any more (pity I didn't do this the first time).
Patched the tube and then found 2 more punctures that had been caused by me putting the tube back in the tyre twice earlier!

So now my tube looks like a 2nd hand dartboard and has 4 patches on it. Good news is it's holding air now and I'm an expert at removing tyres and tubes!

Off now for a cycle ^_^

Always check for sharps , metal, glass, flint thorns. You often need a small blade to persuade them out. Beware of hyperdermic needles, never heard of one in a tyre but bear it in mind.

OP
OP
C

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Always check for sharps , metal, glass, flint thorns. You often need a small blade to persuade them out. Beware of hyperdermic needles, never heard of one in a tyre but bear it in mind.
Thanks Michael, learned all that (and more) the hard way today!

the snail

Guru
..Beware of hyperdermic needles, never heard of one in a tyre but bear it in mind.
Somebody on here posted a photo of one stuck in a tyre once, I don't run my fingers around the tyre to find the sharp thing anymore after seeing that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My bike has 27.5" X 1.95" tyres. I've got a puncture, I've repaired it (I think!).
I previously bought a spare inner tube but it's 27.5" X 2.1"-2.5". Will it be OK to use this tube?
Probably. Ignore inch (both UK and US) or French sizes in future: there are stupid things like 26"x2" is not 26"x2.0" and 700c x 35 is not 700x35c. Look for the ww-ddd numbers, 3 digit rim diameter and 2 digit tube width. The width may also be written lo/hi but as long as your desired width is between them, all is gravy.

OP
OP
C

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Probably. Ignore inch (both UK and US) or French sizes in future: there are stupid things like 26"x2" is not 26"x2.0" and 700c x 35 is not 700x35c. Look for the ww-ddd numbers, 3 digit rim diameter and 2 digit tube width. The width may also be written lo/hi but as long as your desired width is between them, all is gravy.
Thanks for that!
Mine have 3 sets of numbers -
650 X 48B ( no idea what that means)
27.5" X 1.95" (which is what I was using)
48 X 584 (which I guess is what I should be using)

Thanks for that!
Mine have 3 sets of numbers -
650 X 48B ( no idea what that means)
27.5" X 1.95" (which is what I was using)
48 X 584 (which I guess is what I should be using)
The 650 is a French designation. 650c is a skinny racing tyre for small people. 650B was a utility/touring tyre adopted by MTB marketing departments. The two are not compatible.

Top Bottom