Tube, Strap or Rope?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You're carrying a load which do use?

On lighter loads I use 1/2 inch strapping, 3 metre and 3 metre lengths. Useful on larger light loads just to keep the load together.
These are fitted with a quick release catch on one end. Simply pull through the excess, then secure with a knot behind the fastener. Not willing to trust the faster to hold on its own.

Then there's the larger one inch ratchet straps, used for tying/fastening down the load on the rear of the Brox. To date the heaviest load has been a 3/4 ton of wood chips from a garden. Elephant Bag used.

Both strapping systems give the chance when needed, never been "if needed" so far, when the load moves slightly when it's not a solid load.

These straps were bought to length(cheaper than store bought straps), then made up at home. Stitched by hand, needle pulled through with a pair of small pliers. The ratchets were from similar straps, found on the road.

Rope has been used, light easy use, but nylon rope is prone to slipping when tied. Especially if the knot is wrong.

I'm not keen on inner tubes as they can allow the load to move, whilst cycling. Okay for keeping a load together.

And if you ever need a waterproof cover, or a cargo net, and aren't afraid of putting in a bit of your own time. Keep an eye open for paddling pools that are being thrown away because the inflatable ring has gone. They're as good at keeping the water out as in.
The cargo net can be made from a trampoline net. With the winds of recent weeks there's been a few destroyed. But you don't need the whole net anyway.

Have used old tubes in a pinch but they're a bit of a faff. For general use I like Rok straps in various sizes. A pair of the biggest ones are sufficient to strap two work stands, a couple of parasols and a folding bike parking rack (race/saddle-hanger style) to the deck of my long-tail. Have also used 1" ratchets for strapping bigger loads down to a trailer but it's easy to damage both your load and the trailer/lashing points with them so care needed. For occasional light duty I still like Voile straps as they're quick, stupidly strong and a great combination of grippy and just stretchy enough to stop stuff wiggling loose on rough surfaces.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Pretty much whatever is to hand; (Read: I can find). I have a few straps in the saddle bags for the "normal" bikes and a longish climbing rope for use on the Bakfiets.
Have you ever stuffed grass into the knots, to make it easier undo them?

The knot remains tight, and safe, but removing grass in parts is easier than a rope strand.

Have you ever stuffed grass into the knots, to make it easier undo them?

The knot remains tight, and safe, but removing grass in parts is easier than a rope strand.

To be honest that never occured to me. I find that if I use non-binding knots like a hitch, Bowline or truckers hitch the knots hold remarkably well but I can release them when needed.

Last edited: