Tubeless Tyre Deflated today mid-ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi folks, was out this morning and my co-rider noticed my rear tyre had gone down - I checked and couldn't really see any damage. Had another issue trying to pump it back up as the mini pump I have is supposed to screw into the valve in order for it to be pumped, after pumping back up, I removed the attached said pump connector but it seemed to bring the whole presta valve core out with it !! Cue the whole thing deflating like a popped balloon! My co-rider stepped in to save my ass with this gas cannister ! Still, it held up all the way home, however, I'm unsure about these tubeless tyres.....

Question - how often are you supposed to re-inject the sealant into the tyre?
Are the valves supposed to just come out when you screw a pump onto it? It made it very difficult to keep all the air in when I was removing the pump

And finally - What is the best device to inflate mid-ride after experiencing flats? After this, I am looking at changing my mini-pump.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The core was loose, 3-4 months maybe? Different pump

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi folks, was out this morning and my co-rider noticed my rear tyre had gone down - I checked and couldn't really see any damage. Had another issue trying to pump it back up as the mini pump I have is supposed to screw into the valve in order for it to be pumped, after pumping back up, I removed the attached said pump connector but it seemed to bring the whole presta valve core out with it !! Cue the whole thing deflating like a popped balloon! My co-rider stepped in to save my ass with this gas cannister ! Still, it held up all the way home, however, I'm unsure about these tubeless tyres.....

Question - how often are you supposed to re-inject the sealant into the tyre?
Are the valves supposed to just come out when you screw a pump onto it? It made it very difficult to keep all the air in when I was removing the pump

And finally - What is the best device to inflate mid-ride after experiencing flats? After this, I am looking at changing my mini-pump.
View attachment 576237
operator era i think.:okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Removable presta cores do sometimes unscrew with the pump hose.

They are a requirement with tubeless, but much less common on inner tubes.

Obviously, an inner tube with a fixed core cannot come unscrewed, so most riders won't have experienced an unscrewing incident.

Nothing to be done other than put the core back in and nip it up as tight as seems reasonable.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
1614516029723.png

I carry one of these in my toolkit so I can nip up the valve core if need be, there actually really tiny plastic things, so easy to loose if you don't keep an eye on them! Other types are available as well.

Be aware that Co2 can react with the sealant and render it useless, so top it up soon just to be sure. Personally I prefer screw on, flexible hoses on my pumps and occasionally the core will come adrift, which is when a core key can save you.

Would it be a continental inner tube by any chance? I’ve had lots of them where the core wasn’t done up tight out of the box

coldash

Veteran
Would it be a continental inner tube by any chance? I’ve had lots of them where the core wasn’t done up tight out of the box
Same experience with Contis. I always use a pair of pliers to gently nip the core tight to prevent them unscrewing (when I dont want them to).

SheilaH

Not an inner tube...he's using tubeless.

But, yes, I've had the same experience with Conti :laugh: I always check them these days.

Back to OP, sounds like loose valve inner to me. You do sometimes get phantom deflations with tubeless. Can be a puncture desealing, can be a rim tape issue, can be a valve issue. If anybody asks my opinion on TL in general it would be to install and maintain them yourself, and learn their behaviours and maintenance needs. They need a sealant top up somewhere between 3 and 6 months depending on sealant brand, ambient temperatures, and the number of puncture you have.I do mine every 3-4 months.

iluvmybike

Über Member
If a tubeless tyre is deflating during a ride it prob needs a top up of sealant. This can be done with the appropriate injector via the valve by removing the core - hence why they have removable cores. Put the valve at the 12 o'clcok position so as not to lose any sealant. This is the least messy way of topping up and means you don't have to disturb the seating of the tyre. Needs to be done ideally about every 6 months - but can be more often if bike is kept in a warm place

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

You know what, I'm very grateful for this message board and I thank you all again for taking the time to reply - this is one of the best forums I've seen. Knowing you can come here to chat about issues and pretty much anything is a great thing.

davelincs

I top mine up every 12/ 14 weeks , after the initial install 30 ml , I generally top up with 15 to 20 ml, had no problems in 4 years of using tubeless tyres

Top Bottom