tubeless tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi colly. I don't think their is much in it to be honest with the technolegy nowadays. Word is even pro racers use clinchers sometimes for safety reasons. I think unless you want to be shaving a point of a second of a TT and dont mind the glue faff I wouldnt bother personally.
Never raced on mine for the above reasons and mine have just become a ornament for the shed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think colly is talking tubeless tyres rather than tubular tyres (tubs) but perhaps he got it wrong and he is referring to tubs?

I don't like the idea of faffing about with tubs, but tubeless tyres might be worth looking at in the future.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Yes I was thinking of tubeless tyres rather than tubs.

I can see the attraction and have read a couple of reports dated a while ago that seem to suggest they are good for avoiding punctures if you have 'slime' in them.

I just wondered if anyone had any direct experience of them.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
There was a very favourable write-up in this month's Peloton (issue 7) which included a practical guide to fitting them. Never encountered them in the wild though.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
There was a very favourable write-up in this month's Peloton (issue 7) which included a practical guide to fitting them. Never encountered them in the wild though.
Thanks for that. I looked online and found their site and a video review of tubeless. Looks like a quality magazine.

al-fresco

Thanks for that. I looked online and found their site and a video review of tubeless. Looks like a quality magazine.

Now that's just irritating - I'd looked for the video to send you a link and couldn't find it! (Found it now though.)

I stumbled across the magazine in our corner shop a few months ago with a big black and white picture of Fausto Coppi on the cover. It was love at first sight!

screenman

Legendary Member
We have them on a few bikes and like them a lot. You can do a cheap conversion as we did once by cutting and stretching a 20 inch tube around the wheel and cutting off the excess, replace the tyre insert slime and inflate. Ours have lasted a year or so now without problems.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
We have them on a few bikes and like them a lot. You can do a cheap conversion as we did once by cutting and stretching a 20 inch tube around the wheel and cutting off the excess, replace the tyre insert slime and inflate. Ours have lasted a year or so now without problems.

At first I thought you were joking. Then I thought, wait a minute, the tight 20" tube might seal the spoke holes so maybe, now I'm thinking.................Really?

I'm still not sure.:blink:

al-fresco

Though if the tyre did deflate it wouldn't stay on the rim - would it? How are you getting a valve in - presumably it's the one on the 20" tube? (The more I think about this the more I like it!)

mr Mag00

rising member
i run them on my mtb and think they are fab, can run a few psi lower too due to lack on pinch p******es. have seen the goo seeping out form thorn holes etc. really like them for over ayear without any issues now

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm thinking of trying them on my 'cross bike, probably by using my regular tyres and rims and getting a Stans no-tubes kit.

Top Bottom