Tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilley

Über Member
Ok so a number of my friends who ride upwrongs have told me to look into converting to tubeless as it will improve performance and reduce the risk of punctures. Has anyone else tried this on a recumbent?

Skyblot

I'm surprised there haven't been any replies....
I went tubeless several years ago and have kept with it. 8,000km without a ride stopping puncture, and only 1 that needed post ride attention.
Wheels converted with Stans tape, valves and sealant, and tyres being Schwalbe One, Pro 1, Maxxis Padrone, and Hutchinson Intensive. All of these have been on a bike, no experience on trikes I'm sorry.

PaulM

Guru
I understand the theoretical advantages but it seems to be a lot of time, mess and expense to use tubeless in a rim designed for tubes. And the solution isn't elegant. I could be persuaded to try it in rims made for it. Presumably not many of those around in 406 and medium wiidth 559 diameter.

screenman

Legendary Member
I understand the theoretical advantages but it seems to be a lot of time, mess and expense to use tubeless in a rim designed for tubes. And the solution isn't elegant. I could be persuaded to try it in rims made for it. Presumably not many of those around in 406 and medium wiidth 559 diameter.

Time, not a lot. Mess, what from? Expense, not much. Benefits, fewer punctures.

Skyblot

First time it's a right royal PITA. And added expense with rim tape, valves and sealant. And figuring out how to make the tyre seat and seal easily (hint - compressor is near mandatory). After that it's much easier. The Maxxis Padrone on my front wheel has been there for 7000km (removed for repair of a weeping puncture @ 4000km). The Intensive did 5000km and was worn out. Once a tyre is on, I don't plan on doing anything other than top up the sealant every 6 months....fingers crossed!

starhawk

I am myself thinking on Tannus for my trike. I have ridden Greentyre on my Mountainbike and they shold not be tried on a non-tilting recumbent! They have a tendency to "worm" of the rim in tight turns. Tannus on the other hand have these locking plates all along the tyre which should keep it in place.

I have heard of these tubeless also worming of the rim in turns. They are obviously made to take the load vertically was the verdict.

Last edited:
Top Bottom