tubs or clinchers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

It's an old arguement thats not been done for a while.

I'm looking to get a new set of wheels, but not sure whether to go for a set of Tubs this time but not sure if I will get my head over the gluing new tyres in the fact of a punture.

What advantages do tubs have or shall I just stick to clinchers?

gavintc

Guru
IMO, unless you have a service car following you tubs are pretty useless. I have stood in the rain adjacent a club member attempting to affix a pre-glued tub to his wheel with limited success. My conclusion after watching the process is - why bother. If weight saving is the aim, you surely lose some of the benefit by carrying the additional weight of the tub. For the vast majority of us, clinchers with lightweight tyres and lightweight tubes seems to tick the box.

bobbyp

I bought a set of planet-x carbon wheels that are tubs. They feel fast as owt but that could be the wheels. No problems fitting the tubs and I don't ride them enough to have had any p*nctures. (Damn! I've said it now....)

Enough people use them to mean there must be a point. And the ridiculously high pressures you can run are a good thing.

So on the whole, I've not been able to give much advice. Sorry.

02GF74

Über Member
what is the weight of tubs/tub rim vs narrow lightwietgh tyes/lightweitgh inner tube and rim?

tyre & bike technology is alwasy going forwards and with the advent of kevlar tyres etc: the difference may not be that much.

The box section tub rims will be stronger compared to tyre type rims due to them having the additional wall to hold the tyre.

My guess is if tub arrangement is lighter, whcih I suspect will be, and you are not worried about getting stranded with tubs, then go for them

With mtb you can get tubeless tyres, not sure if they are available for road bikes but may be worth a look butthen waht would you gain?

RedBike

Yes you can get tubeless tyres for a road bike. Not very common though.
I love my tubeless tyres on the MTB. Basically, they don't pinch flat and they feel more subtle/gripper.

I used to time trial on tubs. I got the tub version of my wheels because they were not only lighter but also a lot cheaper than the clincher version. Having never had a comparable clincher wheel-set it's a bit hard to compare. However there's something, (perhaps just psychological?), about feel/sound of a tub disc wheel that makes you go quicker.

bonj2

bobbyp said:
I bought a set of planet-x carbon wheels that are tubs. They feel fast as owt but that could be the wheels. No problems fitting the tubs and I don't ride them enough to have had any p*nctures. (Damn! I've said it now....)

Enough people use them to mean there must be a point. And the ridiculously high pressures you can run are a good thing.

So on the whole, I've not been able to give much advice. Sorry.

lots of people spend £50 on a carbon bottle cage - just 'cos lots of people buy it doesn't mean it's worthwhile.

Dave5N

Über Member
Carbon Bottle cages are great!

Tubs for racing, though I suspect the advantages aren't as great as they used to be.

You can get them bloody hard though - and the more pressure the more they stay on.

shooter560

20 odd years ago all my wheels had tubs, now I'm back to cycling all my wheels have clinchers, but give me a few weeks and i'll be back to tubs.

For me I found them quicker and easier to change if I got a flat, faster when riding and nothing sounds better than a tub at 160+ psi ;)

Top Bottom