Tunnel Ride - Birmingham - 9 May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
A re-run of Ru88ell's (Almost) Legendary Tunnel Ride
(This goes back to the C+ Forum days, first run in November 2004)

About 38 miles, starting in Birmingham's Cannon Hill Park and heading in a loop to the south and west for lunch on the outskirts of Stourbridge with the return route along the canals - including the Netherton Tunnel with about 1.7 miles in the dark!

Details are at www.beewee.org.uk - link on the RH side - with an indicative map to download.

Nearer the date there will be a more detailed map available.

Saturday 9 May 2009 - assemble at 1000 for a 1030 prompt departure.

PM me (or e-mail from the website) if you want to know any more or have questions.

Rob

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
Quick reminder bump for this event - it IS taking place - all the details, maps, .gpx and a list of likely participants is at www.beewee.org.uk

Rob

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
IF YOU ARE ON THE LIST for the re-run of Ru88ell's (Almost) Legendary Tunnel ride PLEASE READ THIS : (I have e-mailed those for whom I have e-mail addresses)

All the info is at www.beewee.org.uk with maps etc to download and print.

Some points :

The assembly time is from 1000 with a PROMPT departure at 1030 ... sorry, but if you are not there, then you are not there BUT it should be perfectly possible to either catch up OR use the maps to cut across the route and meet up along the way.

There is a planned short coffee stop at the Wasely Country Park (just before the ride crosses the M5) [The place is open and closed on a whim it seems - all being well it will be open - back-up coffee stop is at the foot of Clent]

Lunch is at The Foresters, a pub on the edge of Stourbridge - the plan is get the menu, people to choose and then phone the order through with an estimated time ... again, this may or may not work (it has before)

Bridges/locks etc - there are loads of bridges, some of which have irregular brick or cobbled surfaces - AND there is one place where the route crosses a lock gate ... it's not been a problem before

Lights - you will need LIGHTS in the tunnel - it's 1.7 miles long and there is no lighting at all - the lights are both to see where you are going and for the person following to see where you are.

Bike - there are some comments on the beewee site ... they are my views, by all means make your own decision

Clothing - again, your decision BUT it is quite cool in the tunnel, and a bit damp.

To reiterate - the ride is informal and in no way an "official ride" of any sort - you all just happening be riding the same route

IF YOU ARE NOT COMING PLEASE LET ME KNOW - I WILL SEE E-MAILS UNTIL ABOUT 0745 ON SATURDAY 9 MAY

... and don't ask for a mobile number to send texts etc .... I haven't succumbed to this form of communication yet!

When you get to the start those that don't know me will recognise me - I'm very tall and will have a light blue Specialized hybrid bike - and a MacRide - www.macride.org.uk - jersey.

Rob

Top Bottom