Turbo, or spin bike, or exercise bike, or....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I’m currently suffering from an injury that’s likely to keep me off the road until after Christmas. I need something to keep me moving in the interim.

Not sure whether a turbo is the right thing for me, or whether a basic exercise bike, or a “spinning bike” is a better option, bearing in mind that it’s going to live in the spare bedroom. Several “spin bikes” on my local gumtree for less than £100...

Any thoughts?

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the injury?
Why might a turbo not be right?

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
I had a fall, and a suspected hip fracture. Turns out it’s not actually broken, but I’m still on crutches almost 2 weeks later. Plus some cracked ribs and something not right with my shoulder.

As to whether a turbo might “not be right” - the space I’ve got in mind for it is quite constrained...

vickster

Legendary Member
They are also high up and perhaps potentially less stable than an exercise bike or spin bike

Perhaps just take a break and heal? And get the shoulder looked at

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, might be able to determine what's not quite right with the shoulder

You may need to pay to see someone privately

A turbo takes up no more space really than a bike and far less than the other options when not in use. However with unknown / unhealed injuries I wouldn't want to climb on one

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
I am seeing physios (both NHS and private) and have lots of simple exercises to be getting on with - and an exercise bike (at gym) is one option they are considering - but I’d rather do something at home.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd favour a turbo if you're not needing your bike in and out of it for going for proper rides for a while, you're on your own bike then and the position and resistance are the very closest to the real thing. So long as there are no reservations from your physio obviously. I got a TacX semi smart turbo for 100 pounds.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Recently posted this in another thread, although not quite in the same situation it might be useful:

As regards exercise bikes and spin bikes/indoor cycles, I had a cheap exercise bike a bit like this and unfortunately trashed it within about 18 months. I don't think they are meant for heavy use.

I'd got back into cycling during this time and wanted to replace it with a turbo-trainer. Unfortunately this wasn't really practical as the only place I can really use it is the cellar (getting the bike up and down a major hassle) and my wife also wants to use it (getting two bikes up and down even bigger hassle).

So bought an "indoor cycle" something like this. It can take a fair bit of punishment (had it for nearly two years), it takes a proper saddle, has SPD pedals and can be adjusted to give a similar position to my road bike.​

I guess it depends on how long you think you need the indoor bike for. If there are second hand Gumtree spin bikes that might be the best option. Check what sort of resistance it has. The cheaper ones tend to use felt pads which wear out and might be difficult to source. The better models use magnetic resistance which doesn't wear out and is quieter.

Top Bottom