Turbo punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Have you been using the tyre outside? as has been mentioned previously it could be flint stuck in the rubber of your tyre. This happened to me on my turbo just before Xmas and it was only through very careful examination of my tyre that revealed a flint stuck in my tyre but it could not be felt by running your finger round the inside of the tyre, but by turning the tyre inside out and flexing it a bit which revealed a tiny split. Not only did I find one flint in the tyre but a lot more than I thought and makes me wonder why I do not puncture more.

I should sumise that because all the pressure on the tyre is directly on the roller it is easy for a flint to just push through a bit more than usual and puncture the inner tube.

Just reread your message and see its a trainer tyre so you will not have been outside.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If it's in the same place every time, it must be something to do with the wheel.
A couple of things to try:-

a) If you've previously used the tyre on the road, it could have a bit of glass in it.You do get punctures from bits of glass that are smaller then the thickness of the tyre tread, which work their way through over time. Look for any cuts in the outside of the tread, and probe into them with something metallic, feeling for a grating sound. Alternatively rub the inside of the tyre with the back of a teaspoon, pressing quite hard. Even if you don't feel anything you may break the point off.

:biggrin: If you use plastic rim tape there could be a split in the tape. Try probing the tape over the spoke holes with the end of a ballpoint or similar, and replace the tape if you find anything.

e-rider

crappy member
If it's a new tyre, then I would say that it must be a problem with the rim tape not covering the spoke nipple/hole properly or some sharp burr on the inside of the rim.

If it's not a new tyre you might have something sharp embedded within it that is difficult to see.

02GF74

Über Member
so the puncture is on the outside - hence has to be coming from the tyre.

I was going to say that it may be due to tyre distorting more than normal as ^^^ says re: contact area between tyre and roller being much smaller BUT then isn't your weight supported evither by a brace below BB (like mine) or the trainer at the rear, then that probably isn't it.

Mount tyre in know place in relation to the valve so next time it happens, you'll be able to locate the bad are of tyre and have a good look.

You're not getting snake bit puncture?

02GF74

Über Member
so the puncture is on the outside - hence has to be coming from the tyre.

I was going to say that it may be due to tyre distorting more than normal as ^^^ says re: contact area between tyre and roller being much smaller BUT then isn't your weight supported evither by a brace below BB (like mine) or the trainer at the rear, then that probably isn't it.

Mount tyre in know place in relation to the valve so next time it happens, you'll be able to locate the bad are of tyre and have a good look.

You're not getting snake bit puncture?

Top Bottom