turbo.... these any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
buggi said:

I bought one this time last year. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to. It was the first I've bought and I didn't want to invest too much in case I didn't use it. In the end it's been a godsend, kept me cycling when I've been ill or the weather's bad.

I've had no problems with it, solid enough, variable resistance, will take various wheel sizes and is generally OK. It's not super quiet but I wouldn't say it was noisy either. I think the roller unit is probably not as well put together as some others but it all works well. I watch a film or something while I use it and only need to turn the volume up a bit more than normal to hear it and no-one in the house complains about the noise when I'm on it.

That one you've highlighted isn't the variable resistance model. Personally I find the cable operated variable resistance quite useful, so I'd look at one of them -> here <-

SJS flog quite a few around now. I decided that about 56 plus the postage was my limit and I just bid that 'till I got one. Some went for 70 or more but if you're prepared to look and wait you'll get one cheaper than that though, maybe a lot cheaper now as many will have bought already.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
We have a similar one without variable resistance, and I think it doesn't matter. The bike's gears do a good job of altering the set up (unless you plan to use a singlespeed on it!)

Vibration down to the floor below might be a problem. One noise reduction is to make sure you use a completely slick tyre. Preferably one that has already done its service on the road as turbos do wear tyres out quickly. (If you don't use slicks yourself, try to collect a few 'has beens' from cycling friends.) Put a second piece of carpet down on the floor to also help muffle the vibrations. It will also help mop up the drips as you will sweat like a pig.

Some people find a little fan helps keep sweat down but also remember to take water bottles and drinks with you as if you were out for a real ride.

A great motivator for the turbo is to have a 'plan' for it's use each day. You can make up your own, but in the 'Lance Armstrong Training Manual', (can't remember it's full title, but it's written with Chris Carmichael and will be in the library), he has a day by day regime, and the Beginners and Intermediate plans are both possible on a turbo. Both have a variety of sessions including plenty of rest. You can see what's coming up and once you have done 'the session' you know you can climb off without wondering if it was 'enough'. etc. You can also easily adapt sessions to the real world if the weather is good enough to get out on the bike.

As turbo riding is so boring most people just whip themselves into a short, high intensity frenzy in the belief that finishing up after 30 minutes covered in sweat must be better than nothing. Well a more measured approach would probably do you more good during the winter months.

To counter the boredom, some people do watch the TV or a movie, but this does nothing for me. However music actually influences the way I can ride. So I 'orchestrate the required sessions' by arranging a sequence on an iPod. For instance, I would chose 15 minutes of increasingly lively music for the warm up, then alternate high tempo tracks with 'recovery' tracks according to that evening's regime, finally followed by the warm down, etc. It not only motivates but helps with the timing of each session. Pretty soon, you get used to which tracks work so reorganising them for each sessions is pretty straightforward.

Here endeth the sad bastard's guide to turbo training.

For the vibration, go to a carpet warehouse and get some offcuts. They generally give 'em away fro free. Put them under the turbo and it should solve the problem

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
cool. now i'm excited about getting a turbo!

Top Bottom