Turbo trainer advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all,
I’m looking for a turbo trainer that can be used for my bike but also my wife’s. She’s recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and is now post op and on chemo, but she wants to get back on her bike to lose some of the weight the chemo has piled on. Obviously stability is key for her, but also needs to fit my bike as well. Budget is around £300. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,,
Nick

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What wheel sizes ? And, importantly, quick release hubs, through axels etc as you may need adapters.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Both 700 so that should be fine and both through axel’s too

Last edited:

gom

Über Member
No longer cycling to work I thought about getting a turbo for ages, but eventually went for an exercise bike. A couple of people who had had leg operations recommended this for ease of getting on/off. My legs are OK, but a turbo raises the back wheel and so saddle, meaning a block may be needed to aid getting on & off.
I paid £300 for an electric exercise bike, that has the advantage of built-in programs that vary the resistance over time. It also tells you your power, but I've no way of checking how accurate this is.
It does not have any features for connecting to Zwift etc. (would you get that with a £300 turbo?), but I'm fine with that - I watch TV/GCN.
It is easy to adjust the saddle height (although only in steps, not continuously) and the handlebar angle.
It is also quiet, and takes up less room than a turbo setup.
It is a bit of a pain to change the saddle, or adjust the angle, but it fits standard saddle rails. I'm using mine to break in a new leather one. If you need different saddles, this could be a pain.

For me at least, the exercise bike was the right decision.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
No longer cycling to work I thought about getting a turbo for ages, but eventually went for an exercise bike. A couple of people who had had leg operations recommended this for ease of getting on/off. My legs are OK, but a turbo raises the back wheel and so saddle, meaning a block may be needed to aid getting on & off.
I paid £300 for an electric exercise bike, that has the advantage of built-in programs that vary the resistance over time. It also tells you your power, but I've no way of checking how accurate this is.
It does not have any features for connecting to Zwift etc. (would you get that with a £300 turbo?), but I'm fine with that - I watch TV/GCN.
It is easy to adjust the saddle height (although only in steps, not continuously) and the handlebar angle.
It is also quiet, and takes up less room than a turbo setup.
It is a bit of a pain to change the saddle, or adjust the angle, but it fits standard saddle rails. I'm using mine to break in a new leather one. If you need different saddles, this could be a pain.

For me at least, the exercise bike was the right decision.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Could you possibly post a link or give me the name of the bike? I’m a tad concerned about having an exercise bike indoors due to space but will take a look

gom

Über Member

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017HQN8E4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I notice it's now £60 cheaper than when I bought it in September :sad:.
As "research" I googled "exercise bike review", read several and went for this one. I have no other experience of them.

Regarding size, I would have been leaving one of my bikes on it all the time, and the whole setup would have been too long - the exercise bike is about 1 metre. It's in my cellar, which is not big.
Sitting on it I am much more upright than on a real bike, but I find that fine. I'm still giving my legs and heart a good workout.

si_c

Guru
Halfords currently have the Elite Novo smart trainer for £219 - it's a wheel on trainer so should fit both your bike and your Wife's. The only downside is it does need an additional adapter for thru-axles, you can get them on amazon for about £30.

It reports power so is compatible with training apps like Zwift (although the accuracy is slightly lower than a direct drive trainer) and can simulate slopes up to 6% so has a bit of immersion. A much better option than a basic turbo IMO, I had a Tacx Flow which was very much the same thing and it was great, I only stopped using it as I outgrew it and got a direct drive trainer.

gom

Über Member
Some nicely-priced units available at Halfords. Should I ever go for Zwift (maybe next winter?), and Halfords repeat the discounts, they'll be worth looking at. The size of the setup will always be an issue for me, but might be worth the hassle eventually.

Wishing you and your wife the very best and that her prognosis is a promising one. Hope you find the trainer that helps her recovery. I know what it’s like having a loved one with cancer, sadly my wife passed away with bowel cancer at the start of December

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Wishing you and your wife the very best and that her prognosis is a promising one. Hope you find the trainer that helps her recovery. I know what it’s like having a loved one with cancer, sadly my wife passed away with bowel cancer at the start of December
I’m so sorry to hear that. Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately as her tumour is grade 4 and incurable it has inevitability written all over it. I hope you can get some kind of rest over this period. As for the trainer, the search continues!

Top Bottom