Turbo trainer wheel set up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave147

i so I have my nice new wheels. And plan to use the old rear wheel for my turbo trainer. So I will need a cassette (first question). My group set is nearly all ultegra. So doninup grade the cassette I gave on the new wheels to ultegra and put the 105 on my on wheel for training? And the the tyres a have just put the old tyres on my new rims she’ll I get new rubber for the new rims if so any recommendations and us the old ones on the turbo wheel. Sorry for the long post

bpsmith

Veteran
It makes sense to use the new cassette on your new wheels. Should consider a new chain at that point too. Not a necessity, but generally what people do.

If you’re buying tyres, and have no spare lower quality ones that you’ll never use on the road, then consider buying a tyre designed for use only on the Turbo. Not tried them myself, yet, but supposed to be better and last longer.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I can’t really answer the first part of the question as I am not sure what you are asking, but in answer to the tyre I’ll try: I use a Kickr Snap (not sure what you have) and it has had no affect on the rubber (or vice versa) so I just make sure the tyre is clean and I use what’s on the bike. In this case Durano Race Guard.

If your old tyres work, use those, if not, any tyre will work including trainer specific ones.

I have tried knobblies when I was doing some bike fitting tweaks on another bike and the noise was incredible. So maybe there’s an exception. :whistle:

OP
OP
dave147

dave147

Sorry was really asking shud I upgrade to ultegra cassette on my new wheels and put the old 105 on my training wheel or is 105 just as good as ultegra.

marigoldhhh

Lighter? Yes marginally but you'll not likely notice the difference. Performance wise- not any appreciable difference- I have both and they are equally smooth. Ultegra looks way more expensive too!

bpsmith

Veteran
105 cassettes are out there for £30. Ultegra cassettes are out there for £40.

Depends which size you’re after really.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Iwould recommend a specific turbo tyre , if i use a standard tyre i find black bits all over the floor .

Top Bottom