Turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JozeeB

Regular
OK before I start.... 1) I'm a beginner-ish 2) I'm a girl (don't get too techie!) and 3) I'm a 'fair weather cyclist' :sun: (I know, I know some of you think those 3 words should not be in the same sentence!)
So, I'm already fed up of the lack of cycling weather during our lovely summer:rain: , so not looking forward to the winter months at all:headshake: . Considering a turbo trainer and wondered what the general thoughts on these are and any recommendations?
Want to keep the fitness up, but not a great fan of the gym any more.

Lol I would expect to see all those in one sentence.
Anyhow, I think with a turbo the main factors are noise and boredom (I can only base my experience in a Magnetic Taxc Speedmatic).
I could be wrong but I think the wind resistance types (the mechanism used to pedal against, I hope thats non techie) is the noisiest, magnetic resistance trainers are next noisiest and the fluid resistance types are relatively quiet.
Turbos can be boring, I like to use an mp3 and mix it up (climb, sprint) and target distances rather than times to keep me amused; others like to use thing like sufferfest videos.
Oh and they make you sweat, riding indoors rather than moving air cooled, and you might need something to protect the frame/floor.

Powely

I'm a beginner too and I've recently borrowed a trainer from a friend and it's a magnetic type and it is noisy. Whilst it's good, it's doesn't compare to being out on your bike and I could foresee it becoming boring. Do you know anyone with a trainer you could try before you buy? It certainly helped me.

OP
OP
JozeeB

JozeeB

Regular
Lol I would expect to see all those in one sentence.
Anyhow, I think with a turbo the main factors are noise and boredom (I can only base my experience in a Magnetic Taxc Speedmatic).
I could be wrong but I think the wind resistance types (the mechanism used to pedal against, I hope thats non techie) is the noisiest, magnetic resistance trainers are next noisiest and the fluid resistance types are relatively quiet.
Turbos can be boring, I like to use an mp3 and mix it up (climb, sprint) and target distances rather than times to keep me amused; others like to use thing like sufferfest videos.
Oh and they make you sweat, riding indoors rather than moving air cooled, and you might need something to protect the frame/floor.
Hmmm.... some good points! Never thought about noise! Just assumed I could sit it in front of the box and get going while watching Eastenders!!!!

OP
OP
JozeeB

JozeeB

Regular
I'm a beginner too and I've recently borrowed a trainer from a friend and it's a magnetic type and it is noisy. Whilst it's good, it's doesn't compare to being out on your bike and I could foresee it becoming boring. Do you know anyone with a trainer you could try before you buy? It certainly helped me.

Possibly... I may know someone who could lend me one.
Someone else suggested trying spin classes - any thoughts on those?

I normally hate classes at the gym and did try a spin class a few years back when fitness was zero and thought 'never again'! Maybe that would be a better option??

Pauluk

I bought the Halfords one as it was only £108 and when I put a slick tyre on the back the noise went away. Before the slick tyre it could be heard around the house but now its quiet, so yes you can watch TV ok with a slick tyre.

Yes they are boring so you need a distraction.

I also think the cheaper Halford one works as well as most up to the £300 mark.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I normally hate classes at the gym and did try a spin class a few years back when fitness was zero and thought 'never again'! Maybe that would be a better option??

Spinning trumps turbo!! Much more fun and because it's far less boring you will be able to go on for longer. Typical class woiuld be 45 mins, so best part of an hour with warm up. An hour on a turbo would seem like an eternity, imho.

Pauluk

Sittingduck said:
An hour on a turbo would seem like an eternity, imho.
I would totally agree. If you are going to use a Turbo for any length of time you need a TV, music (not just background music) or a book. I would imagine running machines are the same. My son reads a book when on his machine.

rollinstok

+1 for a set of rollers
No faffing about to lock the bike in, far less noise, kinder to tyres and bike frame, great fun ( after a little practice )
Rollers improve your overall riding style too

Blue

Legendary Member
My turbo is the best bit of cycling kit I purchased - after the bike, of course!

During the winter I do some serious interval training indoors and get too engrossed in what I am doing to get bored.

If doing gentle spinning recovery rides indoors due to foul weather a distraction is required. I have been able to spin away happily while learning modern Greek from CD's - both keeping fit and learning something I have put to great use on my holidays over the last few years. A win:win situation as I get more out of both the turbo and the holidays!!

OP
OP
JozeeB

JozeeB

Regular
Hmmm... thanks for replies. Need to think about this as seriously torn between turbo and spin!
I have a decent local gym which does spin classes about 2 minutes walk from home!! Maybe I need to try both and then decide!

OP
OP
JozeeB

JozeeB

Regular
If doing gentle spinning recovery rides indoors due to foul weather a distraction is required. I have been able to spin away happily while learning modern Greek from CD's - both keeping fit and learning something I have put to great use on my holidays over the last few years. A win:win situation as I get more out of both the turbo and the holidays!!

Flippin heck!! Multi-tasking?!!

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Turbo trainers are great if you are using them to train, as opposed to using them if you're just looking to go for a ride. Conversely, they're noisy, make you sweat like the proverbial and take most of the things that you will enjoy about cycling and remove them. It will also destroy your rear tyre far quicker than using it on the road would.

In addition to the turbo itself, you will want to think about obtaining:

- A floor mat to put it on, both to dampen any noise and to catch any sweat. I use a cheapo £5 foam gym mat.
- Towels to wrap around the bars, stem and top tube to catch the falling sweat. And you WILL sweat. You can buy fancy "bike thong" things, but towels do the job just as well.
- At least one BFO (big, f*** off) fan. Preferably two. Even training in winter, in my garage, with both doors open I still need fans.
- Something to entertain you. I have a monitor mounted on the wall that I can use to play movies and the like from my laptop, or just play music. It needs to have the capability to be turned up loud over the noise of the trainer.
- Understanding neighbours/family. Depending on when/where you want to train, and the noise that they're prepared to put up with. I have my turbo set up in the garage, but I still can't do any high intensity work very early or late, as the noise is sufficient to disturb my daughter.

If you can check off those things, then you're most of the way there. The only other thing to bear in mind is that turbo training is inherently uncomfortable. It's hot and sweaty for a start, with no wind over you to cool you down. More than that though, is that it shows up every little niggle with your bike position. It's not like riding on the road where you're continuously making micro adjustments to your riding position. You're in essentially the same place all of the time. I can ride for 10 hours or so with only short breaks on the road. After an hour on the turbo, I'm ready to confess to just about anything put to me, your ar*e will hurt, your arms will hurt and you'll be a sweaty, pain-ridden mess.

Despite all that I've written above, I'm not anti-turbo. They're really useful for targetted training sessions. Things like intervals are far better done indoors than on the road where you can be interrupted. Add in a decent DVD like the Sufferfest videos and you'll have an hours workout that will have you begging, but will release endorphins like you wouldn't believe afterwards. If you've had a hard ride on the road, then an hours gentle spin the next day will leave your legs in great condition and feeling far fresher. The bottom line is to have a plan of what you're going to use it for though... They make for an expensive shed ornament otherwise!

^^^ very good post above.

Turbos are only 'boring' if you use them like an exercise bike. Use them as a focused training aid with proper interval session work and the time just flies by....

Top Bottom