Turbo Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Looks like one of these from Machine Mart.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...-cctqr-bike-trainer?da=1&TC=SRC-turbo+trainer

I don't have experience of this model, the only adverse thing I could note is the roller looks quite small diameter, the only problem with this is that if you brake hard it can burn the tyre as the roller spins in one place.

IMHO you don't need an adjustable turbo, just use your gears to vary the resistance. You can also screw up the roller a bit tighter to increase the load on fluid trainers.
One advantage of using a variable load is that you can get a finer adjustment if you are looking at speed as a reference. What I mean is if you have a low load, ride at 25mph, 24mph and 23mph say, then bumping up the load so you ride at 15mph and want to drop down to 14mph it's a bigger drop in load.

Nothing wrong with the cheaper turbos as long as they are stable, money is better spent on a computer with cadence and a heart rate monitor.

OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
Thanks for reply dude tis all very confusing this stuff all i am after is a trainer i can use in house while weather is bad, any other turbo trainer recommendations (-£100 ) Arsen Gere other than HRM with cadence computer

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been using turbo's for well over 20 years now and the best advice I can give is to try and get one that has the roller sprung against the tyre as opposed to screw adjust, either that or make sure you have the most perfect round wheel. The reason being that without these you will get a less than smooth ride or in other words a slightly choppy one as the resistance changes as the wheel rotates.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Thanks for reply dude tis all very confusing this stuff all i am after is a trainer i can use in house while weather is bad, any other turbo trainer recommendations (-£100 ) Arsen Gere other than HRM with cadence computer

If you get a chance to try one at your LBS that might be the best option. But you don't need to spend a lot to get the most out of a turbo. The biggest problem is motivation, it's hard work and sweaty. Like I said this one you picked out would be fine just don't brake to hard.

Screenman has a valid point re-ride but I like to be able to fix the load so I can calibrate the turbo so I know it is the same setup each time and a spring may take that away, I don't know.

The main thing to remember is the noise from a fan based one would make you unpopular.

There must be 10 different turbos at the session I do from £50 to £250 but everyone ends up in the same state at the end and that is what you are after, a good work out. Not one is fan based, all mags, fluid or gel ones.

Top Bottom