Turbo Trainers - Are they worth getting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu1903

Über Member
Stu,

just read your blog and interested in getting a TT rather than spinning classes at the local gym..I notice you are using the same road bike as my newest...did you change tyes?..if you use their QR skewers can you go on the road with it or do you need to change back?....lastly is it noisy?

I haven't changed the tyre yet but I have been advised to change to a training tyre to preserve my road one. You only need to change the back tyre as the front one is stationary.

I'm guessing you could use the QR Skewer on the road but I like to switch back to the original, it's a 2 sec job.

The unit is slightly nosiy but when you're training you don't really notice it as your focused on your session, or at least I don't notice it any more. My wife notices it lol

I've never seen the attraction in Turbo Trainers before but since I've registered for my first ever sportive in April I need to train so took the plunge and haven't been disappointed.

Hope that helps you a little.

stu1903

Über Member
Just got it out of the box and started to read the assembly instructions.......

Think I'll leave it till after Tea :reading:

The instructions are poor mate. I'd advise reading them through first as you will need to use the bracket for your road bike with I assume is a 700 wheel. With the instructions you get half way through building the unit then it tells you about the bracket for different wheel sizes, which means you need to dismantle it again and start from scratch!

Don't be alarmed by the number of screws, bolts, washers and o-rings that are left over at the end, this is normal.

Tomba

I recently purchased the Tacx Satori Pro turbo trainer from Decathlon for £129.99 and love it. Not the same as actually being out on the tarmac but at least in the storms and icy weather I can still train.

I wrote a wee blog on it for my work.

http://blog.freeflowbikes.com/2011/12/to-train-or-not-to-train-thats-the-question/

Just read it Stu. Sounded like my attempt to build the same trainer :smile:

I sent Tacx an email and they said you DONT need the extension pieces for a 700 size wheel but I found using a 700x28 the tyre rubbed on the black plastic bit under the roller. Now installed the correct bit and it works a treat.

Good luck with the sportive in April. I'm doing it too so might see you :smile:

NotFabian

EACC
+1 for the Tacx Satori from Decathlon, included a good mat and a front wheel riser for £149 in the autumn, Usually an hour(ish) 1-2 times a week does me (I do prefer the outdoors, but shift work and terrible weather hinders me)and I have a couple of sufferfest videos, they're great, cheap and they help with a bit of entertainment and structure. I'm very new to the sport so I'm grateful for the direction in my training.
:thumbsup:

Rob500

I initially set mine up without the brackets as well. It worked fine(ish) on my 700x25 tyre. The only issue was that there was very little play when releasing the roller off the tyre. I noticed that one pair of brackets which the instructions claim are for 'Hybrids' was marked 690-710 ....mmmm?????? I thought. Stuck them on ----- Worked a treat.

stu1903

Über Member
Just read it Stu. Sounded like my attempt to build the same trainer :smile:

I sent Tacx an email and they said you DONT need the extension pieces for a 700 size wheel but I found using a 700x28 the tyre rubbed on the black plastic bit under the roller. Now installed the correct bit and it works a treat.

Good luck with the sportive in April. I'm doing it too so might see you :smile:

I used the stated bracket for the 700 wheel. Mine are 700x23 and haven't had any issues. Not actually sure what the bracket does lol.

Thanks for the good luck message for April. I wanted to do the 100 miles route but I've roped another 9 mates into it, most of them are new to cycling so whated to start off with the 65mile route. Don't want to scare them off cycling.

Looking at doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh Fresh n Low cycle in Sept, the 100mile route.

stu1903

Über Member
Lol think I'll phone Decathlon and ask for some commission!

I wrote the blog for our works blog and the next day when I came into work my colleagues were congratulating me, didn't have a clue what for. Turns out I posted the blog one day, the next day we had two orders for turbo trainers, not the Tacx, it was for Minoura trainers we had instock which haven't moved for best part of a year! Could have been a coinsidence.

I've just climbed the Col de la Colombière on the Tacx, given that it is blowing a gale and sporadically peeing down outside then I would have to say it was a worthwhile investment that will hopefully not only keep me bike fit over winter, but also improve on it:smile:

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
All assembled now

Took a couple of reads and one dismantle/re-assemble though

Just been for a 10 minute spin through the mountains (on the CD) and OMG do you sweat using these things

For next time I'll open the conservatory doors and let the breeze flow through.

I can really see the benefit using these, esp in winter when you cant get out as often as you'd like

yello

Imho, yes (says he not reading other posts). I do have one but haven't used it in maybe 3 years. It was brilliant when I was in full time employ and living in central London. I didn't have a great deal of free time during the week so the turbo was regularly used on weekday evenings to get some decent leg turning done.

Blue

Legendary Member
Wait till you have to fit a turbo tyre!
Leave it somewhere hot, like an airing cupboard for a day or so before fitting immediately after removal from said warm area. I find the heat expands the beggars just enough to make the job easier.

Top Bottom