Turbo Training advice for the clueless!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Hi, I have a TT, iv used it on/off over the last few weeks. I actually bought it for my wife (so she could train for a 30mile ride) and I have seen the potential in it..

In the next couple of days Ill have a new Garmin edge 500 with Heart/cadence sensor turning up and Im looking to use those in conjunction with my TT :smile:

Now, my master plan is to cycle 200 miles one day, my current maximum is just under 100miles, so really need to get my fitness up. Iv been reading about interval training, and I think iv more or less got my head around the concept...But too sure as yet and just wanted to confirm a couple of things here if I could....

Iv seen this....http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoorCyclingWorkout.php?id=98 - Im using this only as an example at the moment.

Now its my understanding I need to work out my max heart rate - which is...male: 214 - (0.8 x age)....So for me that would be...214 - 29 (im 37) = Max HR 185 (I realize that's an estimate)

So looking at the turbo training - I basically keep the legs turning along for 10 mins warming up (should I try to maintain a cadence at this point?), then blast it at 80% of my MaxHR for 45 secs, then rest for 30secs and repeat until the 30 mins is up?

Regarding cadence at this point - Iv heard that 80 is a good amount, should I be trying to maintain a set amount each time?

Can someone confirm thats more or less the right idea?

Next question:
Lets say I do this everyday for the next 2 months (?)...are there any apps/web sites that I can use to show/understand any improvement in my fitness? Its my understanding that I can, but I'm really unsure how. Iv need things like "
Suffer Score
" in Strava and I'm wondering if that's something like this?

Sorry for the crap question - there seems to be so much info out there its hard to know where to start!

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Now its my understanding I need to work out my max heart rate - which is...male: 214 - (0.8 x age)....So for me that would be...214 - 29 (im 37) = Max HR 185 (I realize that's an estimate)

So looking at the turbo training - I basically keep the legs turning along for 10 mins warming up (should I try to maintain a cadence at this point?), then blast it at 80% of my MaxHR for 45 secs, then rest for 30secs and repeat until the 30 mins is up?

Regarding cadence at this point - Iv heard that 80 is a good amount, should I be trying to maintain a set amount each time?

Next question:
Lets say I do this everyday for the next 2 months (?)...are there any apps/web sites that I can use to show/understand any improvement in my fitness? Its my understanding that I can, but I'm really unsure how. Iv need things like "
Suffer Score

Sorry for the crap question - there seems to be so much info out there its hard to know where to start!

- Unfortunately, it's pretty useless using the MHR equation, it won't be correct. Best do a MHR test, I'm sure you can find a turbo method via Google.
- I wouldn't worry too much about cadence at this stage. Stick with whatever feels comfortable! That said, if you're looking to increase aerobic fitness, it's better to spin rather than grind.
- Someone will be on to tell you about training websites - do you have a power meter (I'm guessing not if you're asking these questions)?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would advise you to test MHR, do not bother calculating it. An alternative is to train using the Borg Percieved Exertion Scale and ignoring your HR during the training, then look at the data after, take the max figure as your max. Then start to work on that, as you train if you see a reading over 100% MHR, then take this new value as the Max, eventually you will get somewhere close. More time consuming and less accurate than a MHR test, but less painful and removes the need to formally test.

Strava suffer scores are a gimmick, forget that crap!

First thing to say is that riding short intervals on the turbo is probably not going to help you ride 200 miles. You really should be concentrating on riding steady aerobic efforts lasting several hours or more.

If you really can't get out the door (like this weekend for example), then by all means use it, because it's probably the only way you will get to turn the pedals until the weather changes. In which case, concentrate on riding steady, medium intensity efforts for an hour or so - somewhere around 80% of MHR. Ignore cadence numbers, just ride at a cadence that is comfortable.

However, as Herzog says, training by HR is pointless unless you actually know your true MHR.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi, I have a TT, iv used it on/off over the last few weeks. I actually bought it for my wife (so she could train for a 30mile ride) and I have seen the potential in it..

In the next couple of days Ill have a new Garmin edge 500 with Heart/cadence sensor turning up and Im looking to use those in conjunction with my TT :smile:

Now, my master plan is to cycle 200 miles one day, my current maximum is just under 100miles, so really need to get my fitness up. Iv been reading about interval training, and I think iv more or less got my head around the concept...But too sure as yet and just wanted to confirm a couple of things here if I could....

Iv seen this....http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoorCyclingWorkout.php?id=98 - Im using this only as an example at the moment.

Next question:
Suffer Score

Also, 80% MHR is not blasting it, intervals of 45 seconds at 80% MHR are beyond a waste of time, 80% MHR is an endurance sort of effort level. If you are going to "blast" it for 45 seconds, don't even bother looking at the HR monitor, just punch it as hard as you can for that time period.

If you are going to ride at 80% MHR, sit on that for a couple of hours!

I missed that bit. As Robert says - 80%MHR is approx 2hr pace - and there's no point doing intervals at that level. You should be able to hold 80%+ for an hour or more.

OP
OP
M

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
cheers for the fab advice chaps!

So, for stamina (ie - with the intention of cycling 100+ miles) longer/steady time on the trainer would be better than interval training?

I would advise you to test MHR, do not bother calculating it.....
Strava suffer scores are a gimmick, forget that crap!

Cool, ill look into that

First thing to say is that riding short intervals on the turbo is probably not going to help you ride 200 miles. You really should be concentrating on riding steady aerobic efforts lasting several hours or more.

If you really can't get out the door (like this weekend for example), then by all means use it, because it's probably the only way you will get to turn the pedals until the weather changes. In which case, concentrate on riding steady, medium intensity efforts for an hour or so - somewhere around 80% of MHR. Ignore cadence numbers, just ride at a cadence that is comfortable.

However, as Herzog says, training by HR is pointless unless you actually know your true MHR.

that's cool - longer time in the trainer is the plan then...bit of a pain as I don't have spare time at home, but should be able to fit in 2-3 one hour training sessions and week, with a few minor 30 minute ones chucked in for good measure.

Also, 80% MHR is not blasting it, intervals of 45 seconds at 80% MHR are beyond a waste of time, 80% MHR is an endurance sort of effort level. If you are going to "blast" it for 45 seconds, don't even bother looking at the HR monitor, just punch it as hard as you can for that time period.

If you are going to ride at 80% MHR, sit on that for a couple of hours!

interesting...as I have no real idea of my fitness (50-80 mile rides at 15mph is something I can do), and Iv never used a heart rate monitor. I assumed that 80% of MHR would probably kill me! ....Testing needs to be done I think

One final question - assuming I get all this right, and I record all the info...What/How can this be analysed? Ill admit its not totally important to me, but I have found with my cycling that over the years I can see a definite improvident via apps like Runkeeper where the information is logged - when I started 10 miles at 11mph nearly killed me, now 80miles at 15mph nearly kills me. Iv found this kind of information really encouraging.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
One final question - assuming I get all this right, and I record all the info...What/How can this be analysed? Ill admit its not totally important to me, but I have found with my cycling that over the years I can see a definite improvident via apps like Runkeeper where the information is logged - when I started 10 miles at 11mph nearly killed me, now 80miles at 15mph nearly kills me. Iv found this kind of information really encouraging.

What computer are you using, Garmin or similar? If so there are a multitude of programmes available; trainer road, golden cheetah, garmin connect, training peaks...loads out there and it's probably personal preference which will inform your decision. See which ones you like the look of!

Top Bottom